Chinese-bought LG G4 back to the USA

A

AC Question

I'm a US expat based in China. I purchased an LG G4 in July of 2015 in China to replace my Samsung. It's currently running Android 5.1., Kernel version 3.10.49, software version H81810e-CMO-CN.

I'm spending the summer back in the US, and I was hoping to be able to use Google Play to acquire some needed apps (Uber, Google Maps, maybe one or two others).

In China I have pretty decent results using a VPN, and, when I need apps, I generally just do an "apk" search (using Bing, of course, not Google).

Anyway, now that I'm back stateside things aren't going quite as planned. I can't get Google Play or Google Play Services (or Google Framework Services) to work, and the phone's ability to load Android apps appears highly problematic (I can load Uber, or instance, via an "apk" search; but it won't register properly as I keep getting "network error messages").

I'm just wondering if there are any known issues in general about using a phone purchased in China after one returns to the US. I'm well aware of Chinese government policies with respect to Google in mainland China, but I had figured (perhaps naively) that, upon returning home, things would work seamlessly. Sadly this isn't this case. I'm returning to China at the end of August and would love to load up my phone with needed apps before then.

Any suggestions?

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
be1digital