how to fix insufficient storage but no apps installed

id23

Jul 17, 2016
Visit site
how to fix ram insufficient storage ??

I already reset my phone but I saw insufficient storage.. But my ROM is have 2.20 GB available and my SD card is 3.75 GB available.. I think its the ram right?? How to fix it?? Help me.. And my phone is (cherry mobile flare j1 5.1 lollipop) thanks.. I know all of you can help me thanks again..

id23

Jul 17, 2016
Visit site
Re: how to fix ram insufficient storage ??

Thanks bro!! I'm so proud of you yehey!!! Hahhsha thanks a lot.! Can I add you on Facebook ??
Wait! Buy no apps are installed and system apps are installed

Last edited:

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Threads merged.

First, let's be clear on the difference between RAM and internal storage ROM. RAM is where apps reside temporarily when they're open and active, much like the RAM in a PC If you close an app, or if the system needs to open another app into RAM, the app will close out of RAM. (But keep in mind that Android handles RAM very differently than Windows--Android prefers to keep RAM mostly full of open apps, while Windows doesn't.) Internal Storage (ROM) is where the app files themselves (and other data files) are saved to--like the hard drive on your computer.

If a phone has 4 GB of internal storage, about 3 GB gets taken up by the OS and any preinstalled bloatware apps. Therefore, only about 1 GB or less is available to the user for app installation or app data files. Since many of the system or preinstalled apps have updates in the Play Store, that can use up much of that storage, because updated apps are usually larger in size compared to the original factory version. So this is how you can have insufficient storage, even if you haven't installed anything yourself.

The microSD card is not very useful for app installation. Some devices allow you to move an app to SD, but this only moves a portion of the app (and often only a small one at that). MicroSD cards are primarily for storage of media files, like photos, videos, or music.

Unfortunately, the best thing I can recommend to you if you want to install any significant number of apps is to look for a phone with more internal storage (preferably at least 16 GB). A 4 GB phone will only cause frustration.

Last edited:

Inx

Oct 5, 2016
Visit site
My galaxy J3 2016 gives Insufficient storage message.
So I... :
1 Moved all possible apps to SD card
2 *#9900# Deleted sysdump
3 Moved other data files to SD card
4 Uninstalled 100 Mb worth of apps

Storage now show 460 Mb available after doing all that. But I cannot install an app of 62 K b !!

I have not yet... :
1 Pulled my hair out
2 Thrown my phone out the 3rd storey window.
3 Thanked someone profusely for giving me an answer

Please
Thanks

Kamil123

Jan 1, 2018
Visit site
I just bought a new phone from wish.com but when Installed the first app it was fine but the when I wanted to install youtube it said insufficient storage available and when I checked the storage it had 6.5gb available but when I installed a cache clearer app it said that I only have 23mb/101mb I also have an sd card in the phone but it's no use please help

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
1. Apps don't get installed to the SD card, that's for videos, music, photos, etc.

2. You don't need a "cache clearer app" - Android has its own cache clearing. Go to Settings/Storage and, after it finishes its calculations, the "Cache" item will show you how much cache is being taken up (and how much of all the other things in storage are taking up and how much is free). Tap Cached data and you'll be asked if you want to clear the cache. Say yes and it will clear. (And uninstall your cache clearer app [after clearing its cache and its data, and forcing it to stop - in Application manager - it's taking up space.)

With only 23MB or 101MB free, the phone is going to be slow, it needs more free storage than that.

Gargargargar

Feb 21, 2019
Visit site

The Android OS is probably taking up most of the 4 GB. Sadly, there is nothing that can be done to really help this. I would suggest your next phone be at least 16 GB of internal storage or more.

Mine has 16G, 2 installed apps, and while it IS a phone thats one gen back from current brand new, it is less than a month old to me. It still wasnt cheap to me. I was happy. It was all i needed it to be and more.. For a minute. Now I have the Same memory problem. The phone is full of "something" in files i cant access or truly clear.

As im writing this its trying to dl google sheets and all sorts of random garbage i dont need or use and wont uninstall or cant be disabled. All the caches i can find have been cleared. Auto update is also disabled. It just does what it wants.

This is my second android and after this im never using this os again. Same issues with last android phone. It just continuously uses data or bandwidth to update useless google junk and ever bloated updates to software that regular folk dont use until its memory is full. Then the functionality starts to nosedive right before it basically becomes unusable hardware.

A brick of forced obsolescence.

Im pissed. Its very aggravating all the way around, as im absolutely not a fan of apple as a company and dont want to support them financially in any way.. But Im going back to iphones. This has been a frustrating and extremely inconvenient experience as a consumer. At least that unwanted iphone will just do its job for a few years as its supposed to, with minimal fuss.

Just a regular person here.. An early 40's male whos comfortable with tech on a base level. I built my gaming rig and did all my installs with nominal problems, i went to school for engineering. I am not an early adopter of phones or tablets because i understand moores law of electronics.. I do remember all of the internet being a thing and consumer electronics/computer hardware since DOS command lines, commodore64, adam and atari. Just some background on me as a consumer. As that guy, let me tell ya..This android thing.. Its awful. Unsatisfactory. Just so, so bad. Ugh.

End rant. I came to read up and maybe to ask a question and then i read that response from a moderator/trusted forum dude. So now..Diatribe. My bad i guess. Im verbose. What can i say?

Actually.. No. I got more.
Shouldn't we all be discussing that all this bloatware, adware and forced capitulance to high speed planned obsolescence is exploitive to the consumer almost maliciously? Why are we using all these precious metals and non renewable mineral resources to make something that could be useful for a number of years if treated well, only to allow them to be made useless by the software forced upon them in a matter of months? I suppose theres an ubuntu phone or random linux thing for phones.. But who as an average consumer and user needs to mess with that? This phone thing..Its bonkers. Straight up bonkers.

Actual /Rant

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site

Its an LG Stylo 3. As of this morning it says it needs a software update.. But has 412mb of memory available. Seriously?!?! Sigh.

First thing I would look at is how many photos/videos you have on the phone. Back them up and delete them from your phone.

Another place is how many of those photos have you shared through text messages? Those same photos will take up a lot of space. Clearing those might help a lot for your storage issues.

Any apps you aren't using anymore? Uninstall those.

rebnmike

Feb 21, 2019
Visit site

My Galaxy S7 has 32GB of storage. My apps take up 1.6 GB and I have cleared all my other files off. It still shows only 2GB of storage available. What is taking it all up??

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gabrieldavis