Google Keyboard Settings Crash

A

AC Question

Hello I'm using Moto G 1st gen 5.1 (latest firmware) Android with no root access. Updated the stock Google keyboard to version 5.1.23.127065177 (lastest).

The keyboard works fine but when trying to access settings it just crashes with the familiar notification "Unfortunately, Google keyboard stopped working".

I can't change any settings what so ever although the keyboard works itself. I've cleared keyboard cache, data, uninstalled and installed. I have completely no idea why this is happening. Just wonder why is this happening and does any other person with this phone have this issue.Thank, any way to fix this?

Thanks in advance

tom1234321

Jul 18, 2016
Visit site
That's he usual way I get to keyboard settings. It comes up but clicking any of them such as language, theme, advanced etc just crashes the app. Wouldn't t work in safe mode anyway due to going back to original update? Keyboard was fine before 2 updates ago. Maybe another app is interfering but I don't see what would?

tom1234321

Jul 18, 2016
Visit site
Alright gone into safe mode and still happening, definitely a fault with Google keyboard recent updates. Although it's odd if other people with safe phone works perfectly. The update works fine on tablets I have so very confused. Thanks for all that advice though and helping.

tom1234321

Jul 18, 2016
Visit site
Just cleared cache partition (after having slight trouble as the guide is for KitKat not lollipop). Hasn't fixed the issue and still showing error message when trying to use any settings. Clearing cache might of helped my phone though as never done it before.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
What happens if you uninstall updates to Google Keyboard? (This assumes that Google Keyboard came preinstalled, which I can't be sure of right now--the prepaid Moto G 1st gen that I have is lying around somewhere at home ...)

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Send feedback to Google, and wait for the next Google Keyboard update to get pushed. If you're on the factory installed version, it'll always tell you that you have an update, so you'll have to check the app info page on Google Play to see if it's a subsequent update.

tom1234321

Jul 18, 2016
Visit site
Gave feedback multiple times already. Been 3 updates since this issue and still not fixed. People sith same phone as me seem to not have any issues. I'll just have to wait it out and see. Thanks for all the help and advice.

Javier P

Ambassador
Feb 21, 2014
Visit site
Gave feedback multiple times already. Been 3 updates since this issue and still not fixed. People sith same phone as me seem to not have any issues. I'll just have to wait it out and see. Thanks for all the help and advice.

Yeah, definitely a weird issue. I searched about it and found nothing. You said that you can access the keyboard settings after uninstalling updates, right? I would nuke the keyboard and see what happens :)

First uninstall updates and then clear data in settings - apps. After that get into the Google keyboard settings (settings - language & input) and delete your learned words and dictionary, remove any additional language and layout and switch voice input and gestures off. Restart the phone and update from the Play Store.

If by magic the settings work again, go one by one switching the options back on.

I know, a long shot, but I don't know what else to suggest short of a factory reset or flash the ROM, as B. Diddy said. :)

tom1234321

Jul 18, 2016
Visit site
Defiantly not flashing the ROM but thanks for the suggestion. I've tried "nuking" it before. Completely uninstalling to factory and disabling keyboard, deleting data and cache. To then installing new update but still error. I think I'll just wait it out and hopefully they'll be a fix. It's not terribly bad, keyboard is still usable as I'm using it right now. Just no settings really work, doesn't save any of my words nor really remembers any either. Found a way around changing theme (in tips and help you can do this) which is odd it works that way but not by its own settings "theme". Very strange, maybe it's just time for an upgrade, Moto G4 possibly or try wait it out for G5.

Paul Camp

Jul 28, 2014
Visit site
Send feedback to Google, and wait for the next Google Keyboard update to get pushed. If you're on the factory installed version, it'll always tell you that you have an update, so you'll have to check the app info page on Google Play to see if it's a subsequent update.

Sending feedback to Google is like pissing into a black hole.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
If you're the only one sending feedback, then you're probably right. That's why everyone who has the same issue needs to send feedback. If you ran a giant company and only one person complained about something, would you do something about it? Probably not. But if a whole barrage of the same complaint arrived, it's more likely you'd get on it.

For what it's worth, there have been things I've sent feedback on that later on got corrected. Was it due to my individual feedback? Doubtful. But I suspect it was something that many people were experiencing, and it got onto their radar screen.