My battery drain on Samsung Galaxy Note 4 PLEASE HELP, ANY WILL BE APPRECIATED

A

AC Question

So I got my Note 4 a couple weeks ago (It was used but in very good condition) and i noticed that right off the bat, the battery would last 8-9 hours from 100%.
The Doze app don't work, clearing the cache partition don't work, Greenify is just useless IMO and when I tried, it didn't work.. in 1 hour, it would go from 100% to like 80% or a little lower just on standby!!!
In all seriousness, i don't understand the GSAM app but it has given me a list of apps and stuff that use battery if you need that screenshot.
I only have GSAM, Spotify, Unidays, Twitter and Snapchat on this phone so far and removed the SD card a few days ago.
I thought 8-9 hours was normal but reading other posts on here, it's meant to last a whole day with moderate to heavy usage! (I use between moderate and heavy on some days)
Battery is at 30 degrees celsius but goes up to 40 so the temperature is okay.
The only solutions i haven't tried that i can think of is a hard reset, calibration or change of battery.

Any advice is really appreciated.

Kroal

Jul 30, 2016
Visit site
This was me who posted this btw but an example of the battery drain here is that my phone has just sat here on my desk for 10 minutes doing nothing and lost 5%. No background apps, no sync, no GPS or mobile data, the apps power usage looks regular to me although i will post screenshots on demand.
Wi-Fi did stay on but I'm not having a phone or tablet if i have to turn the wi-fi on every time i want to use certain apps

belodion

Co-Ambassador Team Lead
Jun 10, 2014
Visit site
Welcome. :)

It's difficult to say what the cause is, but you seem to have done or checked the right things. I'm inclined to think a bad battery, but it's not much more than a guess. I'll pass this on to more knowledgeable members. Stand by.

GRIMWALD

Jul 22, 2016
Visit site
Make sure that the screen is dimmed as much as comfortable while inside, outside you will have to increase the brightness but it is what it is outside.

GRIM

I had to find the settings but also disable the Android device manager, on MM it is under lock screen and security, other security settings, device administrators and then turn off the the device manager.

Last edited:

Kroal

Jul 30, 2016
Visit site
Okay so pray for me, I turned off the Android device manager like Grim said.. The screen brightness is on 5 and auto, and i keep my device in power-saving mode too. I put it like that when i first got it.

A hard reset is like the second-to-last resort at this moment in time but I've got nothing to lose except for Spotify, Snapchat and Pokemon Go so that is an option.. Is this the same as a factory data reset?

A defective battery is also a possible cause but £24.99 for a new battery is a definite last resort but if this happens, where/what is the best place to buy one?

As an update: 52% battery and the phone says this will go in 5h 30m on power-saving mode but GSAM is saying that "Android System" has used 52.9% of battery out of 70.2%, is this normal?

Thanks for the replies everyone!

Last edited:

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! In these situations, it can be helpful to actually see the stats. Charge up to 100%, then let it drain to 20-30% with normal usage, without charging in between. Then show us:

1. The main Settings>Battery screen.
2. The fullscreen battery graph screen (which shows Awake time and Cell Signal Strength).
3. The Screen category (to see total Screen On time).
4. The Cell Standby category, if present (to see Time Without Signal).

http://forums.androidcentral.com/am...ide-how-post-screenshots-android-central.html

I think you'll need to use GSam to show us the Cell Signal Strength.

Kroal

Jul 30, 2016
Visit site
0cb5f4e80bec78efa9867192aa95f414.jpg

Kroal

Jul 30, 2016
Visit site
I ran into a few problems but got the screenshots up and GSAM wasn't needed... I don't see anything unusual in the battery usage apart from the fact it is a short battery (Remember i said this is a used phone)

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
I don't see anything unusual either in those screenshots. It'd be hard for me to believe that Pokemon Go is causing the drain, since the phone is hardly ever awake. My guess is that the battery is aging and can't hold much of a charge any more. This will always happen to batteries after enough time, but can be hastened if the user frequently drains it to 0% or near-0%. I'd say get a new battery--or see if you can borrow someone else's battery for one charge cycle, to see if the battery life is significantly better.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Try a phone repair shop first and find out how much it costs. If it's much more than what you can find on Amazon, then order it from Amazon--but look for one that is sold directly through Amazon, rather than a 3rd party seller. The latter is still ok, since Amazon can help you if you have any problems with it--it just might be more of a hassle.