How can I breathe new life into old Asus TF101?

Jul 31, 2016
Visit site
I have an old TF101, that is just really too slow to use anymore. Browsing websites is sluggish and crashes the browser quite often. I only use it 95% of the time for browsing the web (google chrome or stock browser)

Is there anything I can do to improve the speed? I tried factory reset today, but there was no improvement. Plus I could no longer connect to the Google play store to download alternative browser (play store app just crashes)

If anyone has any suggestion please let me know.

I'm aware there are things I can do like rooting, overclocking, custom roms, etc. But before I attempt any of these I just wanted to know if it s worth the effort

Last edited:

b-16707

Jul 31, 2016
Visit site
If you have the stock OS that was on it, im betting that it was pre-TRIM android days (you still on honeycomb?) which is why the slowness of the device as it cant clear up memory like a TRIM enabled device can. A factory reset wont do anything either I dont think (someone verify). I would do the bootloader unlock and install a custom recovery and rom. Takes some reading up on but it should still be a good device. I used to have a TF101 =).

https://wiki.cyanogenmod.org/w/Tf101_Info

Jul 31, 2016
Visit site
If you have the stock OS that was on it, im betting that it was pre-TRIM android days (you still on honeycomb?) which is why the slowness of the device as it cant clear up memory like a TRIM enabled device can. A factory reset wont do anything either I dont think (someone verify). I would do the bootloader unlock and install a custom recovery and rom. Takes some reading up on but it should still be a good device. I used to have a TF101 =).

https://wiki.cyanogenmod.org/w/Tf101_Info

Yes that's right it is running stock android and maxed out the upgrades, The android version says 4.0.3 so that's ice cream sandwich. (that was the last upgrade available for the TF101)

So I guess it doesn't support TRIM (TRIM is 4.3 and later right?)