Can't open links in text messages

A

AC Question

I have a samsung s6, fully updated.

A few days ago my sister sent me a share from 9gag. I can press the link and it opens, it says it loads fully but there are no content, just.. empty.
Today she sent me two different web pages as links and the same thing happens with the two of them. I restarted my phone but nothing had unfortunately changed. Solution, anyone?

Of course i can copy/paste but that's a pain especially when there's more text than just the link the text message.

Majesticbaby

Aug 3, 2016
Visit site
Hi, what app are you using to view the links, Chrome, Firefox etc?

I'm not entirely sure, for surfing I use the basic, pre-installed which is just called "Internet". The thing is that when I open the link and it's empty I can choose more in the upper right corner and choose open in browser which then opens the link in the browser and works just fine. I just now realized that if I do anything else instead of closing that extra window, such as "minimizing" it by dragging it downwards and then up again it works just fine.

If I succeeded with my images, the empty one shows my "problem" and the other one shows how it's supposed to be when I click the link the first time, this is after I "minimized" it and then took it up again.
Screenshot_20160803-192356.jpgScreenshot_20160803-193125.jpg

Last edited:

the tall guy

Q&A Team
Sep 23, 2013
Visit site
Hi and welcome to AC :) could you possibly send me the link that you refer to so I can see what happens on my device? are they definitely web links your sister is sending you? it might also be worth while using Chrome as your default and seeing if that helps the issue.

GRIMWALD

Jul 22, 2016
Visit site
In you messaging app. in the settings check to see if "Auto retrieve" is turned on" in the multimedia messages section.
Open messenger, select more in upper right corner, settings, more settings and then multimedia messages.
You may also want to check if the Samsung browser, is set to be the default browser.

GRIM

Majesticbaby

Aug 3, 2016
Visit site
Thank you both for your replies!

In you messaging app. in the settings check to see if "Auto retrieve" is turned on" in the multimedia messages section.
Open messenger, select more in upper right corner, settings, more settings and then multimedia messages.
You may also want to check if the Samsung browser, is set to be the default browser.

GRIM

I checked the auto retrieve immediately after seeing your reply but alas, it was already on. The samsung browser should be the default one, I tried other browsers a few months back but they are all deleted since then.

Hi and welcome to AC :) could you possibly send me the link that you refer to so I can see what happens on my device? are they definitely web links your sister is sending you? it might also be worth while using Chrome as your default and seeing if that helps the issue.

Of course, should I post them here or how to do this? :) To clarify, when just surfing, using the samsung browser it works perfectly and I can open any links I want :)
The one in the picture is from an application but she also sent me "clean" links which did the same thing. I actually recorded both and I'll see if I can get them up here. In the videos it'll show what I explained earlier (although that explanation was all over the place, wish I had thought of the recording thing before) both with the application link I'm opening and then the "clean" link to a website. Be warned, all the text is in Swedish but hopefully you'll recognize most of what's happening :) I'll definitely try chrome, thank you!

Bernadette Devoy

May 15, 2020
Visit site
I received this text.. Clicked the link but its nothing to do with the text... Phone then wouldn't download my cookie jam app... I've restarted my phone. So u think its a bug? Here is the text...

A free spins offer has been beamed into your account: [link removed]
Expires 23:59 GMT+1 17/05. T&Cs apply.

Unsub: [link removed]

Please advise

Last edited by a moderator:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fallingOutOfLoveWfithTech