My tablet locks itself immediately after unlocking - Anyone know of a remedy?

Feb 2, 2016
Visit site
Hi, and thanks in advance to anyone reading this...

I seem to have a problem with my Asus ME302c tablet on a semi-regular basis. Sometimes when I come to use the tablet, when I punch in the pattern to unlock, after hearing the 'click' indicating that I've unlocked the device, the screen goes blank for a moment, then I hear another click, then the lock screen re-appears. No matter how many times I unlock the device, it will always re-lock itself.

I'm able to sort this problem by rebooting the device, but it still pops up occasionally. I have no idea what could potentially cause this, although most times I've encountered this problem is when I plug it in to charge, but it's also happened even when it's not plugged in at all, and it also rarely occurs even when plugged in. Perhaps it might be something to do with the battery? (Dunno, just guessing)

Might anyone have any idea as to what's going on and how to fix it?

Just in case it helps at all, my device is an Asus ME302c (also known as FHD 10) running Android 4.3 (For some reason Asus never bothered to update their proprietary version of Android past 4.3) It is also Not rooted.

Thank you very much in advance :)

belodion

Co-Ambassador Team Lead
Jun 10, 2014
Visit site
Try booting into Safe Mode to test whether a third-party app is causing the trouble. Not very likely I think, but worth trying, if only to eliminate that possibility.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Also, is the tablet in a case? If so, try taking it off. Or make sure no magnets are nearby. If a magnet is near the tablet's smartcover sensor (which senses if a smartcover is closed, and automatically turns off the screen), then it might be briefly triggering the sensor, blanking the screen.

Feb 2, 2016
Visit site
Try booting into Safe Mode to test whether a third-party app is causing the trouble. Not very likely I think, but worth trying, if only to eliminate that possibility.
Well, I just tried that, and the problem occurred immediately upon booting. It definitely booted into safe mode, as it was indicated in the corner of my screen. So, it seems that it's not the cause of a 3rd party app. Thanks for the suggestion though, at least that's 1 possibility eliminated :)

Feb 2, 2016
Visit site
Also, is the tablet in a case? If so, try taking it off. Or make sure no magnets are nearby. If a magnet is near the tablet's smartcover sensor (which senses if a smartcover is closed, and automatically turns off the screen), then it might be briefly triggering the sensor, blanking the screen.
Hmm, that sounds possible, as I do remember seeing an option to use an "Asus transcover" in my device's settings. The strange thing is though, I don't have that setting enabled, neither do I have one of these Transcovers.

I have 2 cases for my device, the one that I was using at the time didn't have any magnets to speak of, as it closes using a leather hook. My other case however does have a few magnets on it to hold the Bluetooth keyboard that come with it. Incidentally, when I last encountered the problem I had put it down next to this case after the season before that, so I guess it's just possible. I'll give it a try and see where that gets me. Thanks for your tip!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillyC