Help! I need an Android phone for WiFi access only

LadyHamper

Aug 8, 2016
Visit site
Hey, all. So, my primary phone is an iPhone 6s (I know, I know, don't hate me!). I'm currently working on a project that requires me to review the usability of a responsive website and app on both iOS and Android. To do this, I was using my old Samsung Galaxy S3 (on Verizon) and my current iPhone 6s. Unfortunately, my Galaxy S3 officially died this week. It's beyond repair - I've had this confirmed by others far more knowledgeable than I am. I don't have the luxury of spending a ton on a new Android phone, so I'm headed to Ebay.

The only things that matter on this new phone are: (1). Fully functioning screen, (2). WiFi capability, (3). Android OS, (4). Will still be functional for the next 8-12 mos, (5). Under $40.

So, it looks like I won't have an issue finding a used phone that meets these specs. But here are my questions:

1). I will not be using data or adding the phone to a plan. I assume that I can still use it on WiFi without activating it?

2). Even though I'm only using it for WiFi, does it need a Sim Card to function? If so, can I transfer the Sim Card from my old Galaxy S3? How do I determine if my Galaxy S3 Sim Card is transferable to a different Android phone model from Verizon?

3). Will I have any issue using GPS if I'm only connected to WiFi? The mobile website I'll be testing has some "find locations near me" functionality I need to look at.

4). Will I still be able to update the Android OS on this phone if it isn't connected to a Data Plan/cell network? Is there a way to check if a particular model I'm interested in can still get OS updates?

5). Any other recommendations on things to look for / avoid for a phone that meets my requirements?

Thank you!

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
I would recommend an amazon blu r1 16gb/2gb.it is $60 on Amazon. It is a decent lower specd phone. It comes with marshmallow out of the box, not sure if it would get updated but OTA won't require sim. It would work fine wifi only and gps works

You can get a cheaper phone but... It would be either pretty old or pretty poorly specd.

The advantage of a new phone is it would be warranted for a year

LadyHamper

Aug 8, 2016
Visit site
Thanks, @dpham00! I will check out that phone, but I'm still leaning toward a cheaper older alternative from Ebay. I understand there are no guarantees about durability, battery life etc.

If I were to stick with my plan to go the Ebay route, do you think I'll have any trouble updating the OS on an older phone (say, an otherwise fully functioning phone from 2012, 2013, 2014, like the Samsung Droid Charge)?

GRIMWALD

Jul 22, 2016
Visit site
Is there any reason why you wouldn't consider a tablet instead of a phone?
Other than GPS even one of those Kindle readers are pretty snappy and they will do locations (I think) over WiFi.
I really don't have a recommendation, I was just curios.

GRIM

LadyHamper

Aug 8, 2016
Visit site
@Grimwald: not looking at tablets as the assignment is to review the functionality of a mobile site and mobile app from iOS phones and Android phones, not tablets. Different breakpoints etc. would possibly affect the tablet view vs. mobile phone view. And, yeah, I know about phablets, but those are probably much more costly than the lower-end Android smartphones I'm looking at on ebay and as laid off person with a very small, short-term consulting gig, I need to pinch my pennies.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Thanks, @dpham00! I will check out that phone, but I'm still leaning toward a cheaper older alternative from Ebay. I understand there are no guarantees about durability, battery life etc.

If I were to stick with my plan to go the Ebay route, do you think I'll have any trouble updating the OS on an older phone (say, an otherwise fully functioning phone from 2012, 2013, 2014, like the Samsung Droid Charge)?

You would have a lot of trouble...the Droid charge was launched with 2.2 froyo and with software updates, I believe is still on gingerbread (Android 2.3) which is about 5 years old. You will not be able to update it to any recent Android version. What do you mean fully functioning? Many apps won't work because the charge only has 512mb ram and a very old processor and os. Pokemon for example requires 2gb ram and Android 4.4 KitKat, neither of which the Droid charge supports. Many other apps would not be compatible either.

It could work... If you just need something to make calls and texts and light Web browsing,but it would be very sub par.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thtknt