If I can not remove this pestering, intrusive virus from "my" personal property, then I'm thinking about going Apple! It's obnoxious! The stupid round icons to the left of each line item / message in the list IS A COMPLETE WASTE OF SPACE and the simple fact that some one would think it be useful is infuriating, I should be able to TURN THAT OFF! I want to be able to tune the interface to suit my taste and I know it can be designed that way. I flat out do everything in my power to STOP this programs from updating because the updates focus more on MUCKING UP what is already a DUMED DOWN UI and less on security patches. I HATE being 100% controlled like I'm some *****. Rooting the phone may be my next attempt at stopping this nonsense. Sorry for the rant, and I can't believe no one else is irritated by this--or when I google this issue, google blocks any thing to do with this as I can't find anything on it....we are here..... its 1984 like the book reads!
    08-31-2016 11:59 AM
    You want to go to Apple because you want to be able to customize your interface and you don't want a company controlling your phone?

I fear you might be disappointed.

Outside of rooting, you can't replace the stock.
    pkcable likes this.
    08-31-2016 12:03 PM
    You actually might want to consider getting an Android from a company that is more bootloader unlocked/ROM loader friendly, like One Plus, or HTC. Apple is NOT the answer if you want open source. Although personally I DO like Apple and feel it is a good choice for many, it's probably NOT a good for for you!

One Plus Three (or an earlier One Plus model) or one of the HTC One models is probably a better choice!
    Kelly Kearns likes this.
    08-31-2016 12:09 PM
    PS two good voicemail options that I like are Truecaller and Youmail, they can replace the default voicemail and supersede it. I'm not sure if it gets completely removed thou.
    08-31-2016 12:11 PM
    The Note 4 can be rooted now, but it is still a hassle. Phones without locked bootloaders are the best for people that want to customize everything.
    pkcable likes this.
    08-31-2016 12:12 PM
    Voicemail is off-phone - IOW, when you don't answer, the call goes to a number stores in Settings. There are very few VM services that will handle the call, though - your carrier and Google are about it.

As for the way a particular app is working (and "drawn"), you can replace the app easily - just install a different one.
    pkcable likes this.
    09-03-2016 05:59 PM