S7 screen cracking without dropping

Accessdenied

Sep 3, 2016
Visit site
Less than a week after buying my S7 edge, the screen smashed itself... no impact, no dropping at all, case on... Even if I wanted to spend £200+ on a new screen I'd be reluctant as it may just break again. Is this a reoccurring issue? I've read that the heat from the phone may cause pressure which breaks the glass, while at the time I wasn't using it, nor was it on charge, it had just been sitting on the side (while I have noticed a disturbing amount of heat when in use). I took it back to the provider, hoping that the 14 day coverage would back me up, but I was refused. I've had several Samsung phones, and none have ever had so much as a scratch: especially considering that this is supposed to be extra durable gorilla glass I do not expect it to "kamikaze" in less than a week. I've tried to cover with gorilla glass but the crack is huge so the cover doesn't fit correctly; it's in the bottom right hand corner and spreads up to the top and along to the left- because of its position I am inclined to suspect a fault in the glass as that is where my thumb is most of the time. I could claim on the house insurance but it would likely put the premium up as I've never had to claim before, so I was wondering if anyone else has experienced similar issues or has any other suggestions? I can try to upload a picture if that's any help

belodion

Co-Ambassador Team Lead
Jun 10, 2014
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central. :)

Screen self-cracking does sometimes occur on phones. Contact the manufacturer's customer support for advice.

Also, did your provider say why they would not replace?

Accessdenied

Sep 3, 2016
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central. :)

Screen self-cracking does sometimes occur on phones. Contact the manufacturer's customer support for advice.

Also, did your provider say why they would not replace?

The manager suggested that as noone could not prove it was not dropped, their provider would just send it back and an exchange or repair would not be possible 😣 However, I would have thought that as it was under a 14 day garruentee anyway, they would be obliged

belodion

Co-Ambassador Team Lead
Jun 10, 2014
Visit site
I should have thought that signs of a drop would be evident to the manufacturer. I don't think they just assume a drop. Self-cracking may have been caused by an overheating issue, for example, in your case, or just a flaw in the glass which might show up on inspection.

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brownsjames