Newbie on Android

abhishek singh21

Apr 11, 2015
Visit site
Hi community, after being on windows phone for over 4 years ( lumia 520>925>730) i have bought my first android smartphone , Samsung galaxy J5 ( out of the box with marshmallow v6.0.1) .it is a budget phone with enough juice in it to impress me. I am loving the phone and is glued to it as the whole UI and animations which are just out of this world and amazing + all the exciting wide array of apps =). I just realized how i was stuffed in a box with windows OS. Now i feel like a free bird.

i did had some difficulties at first but managed to get around them but still have some questions like why do samsung or marshmallow dont allow users to move the apps with the data to sdcard or just make sdcard the default storage . i loved this feature on my lumia where i would save all my apps to sdcard and keep around 3gb free for my OS in phone memory. This new android device too has 8gb internal with 3gb available to user but after installing all the necessary apps and yes manually moving them to sdcard the space left is only 1.5gb!! That was a bit confusing to me why is the space not freeing up but after initial research i found out that samsung doesn't allow the data to be moved to sdcard instead only the app or the installation files to be. That did hurt me a bit cause if i would have known better i would have bought a device with 16gigs of internal storage but there goes that. Now there are ways with rooting to expand internal storage but i dont want to step in to that so early. i am satisfied and happy to be on android ship & only wish that in future we could move app data too to sdcard.

a few questions that i have are: is the inbuilt smart manager has an antivirus and disk-cleanup utility . i need to know can i rely on it or should i install a third party app like ccleaner. Is there an application for android device ( Samsung) like Windows device recovery tool for windows phone through which i could flash my phone if something goes bad??

Also what other essential apps should i have to keep my device running smooth and free from freezing. It hasn't freezed yet and i wish it doesn't in future :D.

Last edited:

Tim1954

Q&A Team
Jan 17, 2016
Visit site
Android phones are very hard to infect with malware if you are sensible. Don't sideload from unknown sources, don't open attachments if you don't know what they are, and never ever click on anything that suddenly pops up with dire warnings about your phone being infected and it will self destruct if you don't use their app to save it!!! Back out with the home button and reload the page.
Avoid all apps from CM, they are evil!!!

abhishek singh21

Apr 11, 2015
Visit site
Android phones are very hard to infect with malware if you are sensible. Don't sideload from unknown sources, don't open attachments if you don't know what they are, and never ever click on anything that suddenly pops up with dire warnings about your phone being infected and it will self destruct if you don't use their app to save it!!! Back out with the home button and reload the page.
Avoid all apps from CM, they are evil!!!

thanks for the caution , i have an idea now how to stay away from getting infected.

can you tell me , do after rooting an android device is it prone to get infected much easily ?

robertludlumnovels

May 17, 2016
Visit site
I have a Samsung Galaxy J5 with 16GB internal memory and 32GB SD card.
I moved as many apps as I could to the external memory.
However, mt internal memory is always used up to at least 15GB, and as soon as it reaches 15.5GB (which is every few days) it starts warning me of dangerously low space.
Even if I move all pics, videos, etc to external it still does not free up more than 0.5GB.
What do I need to do to get the maximum free space on internal memory?