Hello,

I am extremely new to this...this is my first apk file actually. I downloaded the file, followed the instructions exactly (don't laugh) as they basically just said "type this link into your browser". The file downloaded with no problems but when I tapped it to continue to the next step of installation an error came up saying "Can't open file". I have also transferred the file to the phone from laptop to see if that would help...still can't open the file. I have a Droid Turbo 2 running Andriod 6.0 Marshmallow.

Any suggestions or advice would be appreciated! Thank you!
    09-14-2016 01:42 PM
    You got to start somewhere Welcome to Android Central. APK files are compressed files like zip or rar files and used to install apps. By default, Android only allows installation of apps from Google. This is to protect you from downloading apps that could compromise your device. Google Play apps install automatically but a file manager is required to install apks from other sites.
    Go to Google Play and get Astro File Manager or ES File Explorer and install.
    Go to Settings, security, and allow installation of unknown apps.
    I'm not sure if there is a file manager on your device. Skip the first step if there is
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    09-14-2016 03:28 PM
    Yes, we do...I use to think I was tech savvy back in the day when things were simple Thank you for your response! I'll try this!!
    09-15-2016 01:56 PM
    That worked like a charm! Thank you so much!!
    09-15-2016 02:26 PM
    You're welcome
    09-15-2016 04:10 PM
    You got to start somewhere Welcome to Android Central. APK files are compressed files like zip or rar files and used to install apps. By default, Android only allows installation of apps from Google. This is to protect you from downloading apps that could compromise your device. Google Play apps install automatically but a file manager is required to install apks from other sites.
    Go to Google Play and get Astro File Manager or ES File Explorer and install.
    Go to Settings, security, and allow installation of unknown apps.
    I'm not sure if there is a file manager on your device. Skip the first step if there is
    I'm facing this issue only after updating android studio to 2.3. Is there any connection to that ?
    03-30-2017 05:22 AM
    I have Samsung galaxy a3 and I'm having this problem. I have my unknown sources on and I downloaded astro but when I clicked on the apk (lucky patcher) it said there was no files for the app.. PLEASE HELP ME I AM ON ANDROID 6.0.1
    04-01-2017 03:21 PM
    Some apps simply won't work on some phones. However before you give up try a couple things, reboot the phone. Try going to settings, apps, google services, and clear cache in there.
    04-01-2017 03:33 PM
    Some apps simply won't work on some phones. However before you give up try a couple things, reboot the phone. Try going to settings, apps, google services, and clear cache in there.
    I did that, but it just said "file type not supported"
    05-25-2017 05:33 PM