going to Italy, purchasing sim card there, will phone number change?

A

AC Question

I am traveling to Italy next week. I am purchasing a sim card over there for my galaxy note 4. Will my phone number change? Verizon had lousy international plans so purchasing a local sim card was suggested to me. Good idea, but now I am worried my phone number will change and if it does, will that mess up my apps on my phone? I am purchasing a plan with international calling and internet as wifi will be spotty over there. thank you in advance!

anon(9983233)

Aug 3, 2016
Visit site
Great question and be careful on your travels.

According to a common search, which deals with international sim cards.. Most sites say you get to keep your number (USA) and even be able to add a second number (International or country of origin). I would check the home page of the sim card you're ordering.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! I believe that in most situations, inserting a different prepaid SIM card means a different, unique phone number. The phone number should be on the package of the SIM that you get, or it should show up in Settings>About Phone after you insert the new SIM.

On the other hand, if you purchase a temporary international plan or pass from your current carrier, you get to keep your usual number.

Javier P

Ambassador
Feb 21, 2014
Visit site
I use to buy local SIM cards when traveling abroad, all prepaid, and never managed to keep my personal number(s). With these new cards I buy some credits for internet access so I can use different VoIP/messaging services with my usual accounts (Viber, Skype, Whatsapp, etc). Never had a problem, just missing phone calls, of course :)