YouTube app keeps switching to the lowest quality

A

AC Question

When I use the YouTube app it keeps defaulting to the lowest available quality setting. I select 480p watch the video and everything is fine. But when I watch another video it automatically switches back to the lowest available quality. When each video starts I can select 480p and it plays the video in 480p but I have to do that for each video. I've had my phone for about a year. This problem only started happening a couple days ago. My phone is a Samsung Galaxy Core Prime on Metro PCS. I'm on the $60 unlimited LTE plan. I never use Wi-Fi (because I have unlimited, unthrotled, LTE). I have a guess that maybe it's the network doing that automatically because Metro PCS wants people to use less data. I'm not sure. How do I fix this? Any insight will be much appreciated.

NormalGuy44

Aug 29, 2015
Visit site
I'm the one who posted this question. I guess I was too lazy to sign into my account when I posted it. I figured it out. It wasn't the network at all. I was relived that they weren't messing with my data. It was a bad update to the YouTube app that did it. I uninstalled the update and the problem went away. I only figured it out because the main screen on the YouTube app looked slightly different and I was like "I don't think I've used YouTube since that update was installed, I wonder if that's it". Hopefully when YouTube puts out the next update things will be fixed. until then my YouTube app is working fine without the update on there. I hope this helps somebody in the same situation.