Updated Android on my S7 Edge - 98% RAM usage and glitchy system

A

AC Question

Got a notification for a new update for my Android system some days ago, and finally decided to update today.

However, after the update succeeded, I got greeted by 98+% RAM usage (78mb free of 4GB), sluggish performance, Android system draining 41% battery, Samsung keyboard keep disappearing and Wi-Fi struggling to keep a stable connection. It's been like this for about 3 hours now.

Even after a reboot it returns to the 98% usage and constant battery draining. Tried to close all apps, force shutdown on all my normal apps using RAM (Snapchat, Messenger etc) but they just reappear with the same RAM usage. The phone ends up being almost unusable becuase of the performance.

The only thing I haven't tried yet is to let it work trough the night, might be background installing and management of some sort after the update. Don't want to do a factory reset, as it would take ages to download all my apps again. But if this is the last resort, then okay, but from my experience this too won't fix anything as the update still is installed in the system.

Build number: MMB29K.G935FXXU1BP12

Core version: 3.18.14-9113173

And obviously Android 6.0.1

TenshiNo

Aug 2, 2010
Visit site
Rukbat is correct, but I wanted to expand on his answer, just a bit. When you pull up the battery stats and see "41%", that is not 41% of "the battery". That's 41% of the power that has been consumed. If the device has only been off the charger for a few minutes (or any short time) it is not uncommon to see these kinds of large numbers, because there has barely been any power used and very few processes using it. Just something to keep in mind when trying to interpret battery usage.

larsostli

Sep 30, 2016
Visit site
Hi, OP here.

The issue wasn't what I would've thought it to be, the system update itself was fine, however Oculus is the one to blame.

Their newest update got the software itself into a reinstall loop, and therefore hogged a lot of the CPU. The RAM was fine yes, still doing 80mb free with no performance issues because of what Rukbat said.

Uninstalling Oculus helped immediately, and they're aware of the issue. https://www.reddit.com/r/GearVR/comments/5520vg/%C2%ADoculus_update_this_morning_caused_my_phones_cpu/

The battery drain was so heavy that from 6am to 12pm it had drained 90% of my battery without me even using the phone at work. Nice pocket warmer though.

TenshiNo

Aug 2, 2010
Visit site
Had the same issue on my Note 5 Friday. Noticed insane battery drain. Rebooting the phone fixed it for me. There was an update to the Oculus app Friday evening that reports to have corrected the issue.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelsea rae