Does S7 have a volume on/off button or switch?

A

AC Question

Hello from a newbie here and new to Samsung mobile phones. I recently switched from an iPhone and have some basic beginner's questions, starting with this one.

Is there a way to switch off the sound with one tap, or do you have to hold the volume button until the volume level drops to the bottom and vice versa to get the sound back on? (The iPhone had a switch on the side of the phone which made it easy to silence the phone at night and switch the sound back on in the morning.)

I have the pdf of the user manual but could not find this info there.

TIA

TenshiNo

Aug 2, 2010
Visit site
There is not a physical switch like the iPhone. You can, however, pull down the notification panel, then tap the speaker icon at the top to toggle between Normal/Vibrate/Mute sound profiles.

pkcable

Q&A Team Leader, VR Expert
Ambassador
Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
Some Android models DO have such a button, the One Plus models for example have what they call a Priority switch which has 3 settings, all (which means you get all notices, Priority, which you set and usually is set for JUST calls, and off which silences all notifications) My One Plus Three is almost always on the middle "priority" setting. :)

MobileNick

Oct 20, 2012
Visit site
There are other options for Android which IMO are even better than the physical switch if your volume on/off behavior intent will follow a schedule. There are apps like Tasker or Setting Profiles which let you change sounds automatically based on certain parameters such as time of day (volume to zero at 9pm and back loud at 7am, etc.) or even location.

I have used Setting Profile for years to define my volume based on cell tower location - when I am near my "home" area it automatically goes loud and when I leave "home" area it automatically goes to vibrate. A little learning curve up front but works quite nicely :)

LaurieDutch

Oct 4, 2016
Visit site
There are apps like Tasker or Setting Profiles which let you change sounds automatically based on certain parameters such as time of day (volume to zero at 9pm and back loud at 7am, etc.) or even location.

I have used Setting Profile for years to define my volume based on cell tower location - when I am near my "home" area it automatically goes loud and when I leave "home" area it automatically goes to vibrate. A little learning curve up front but works quite nicely

These sound interesting. Will read about them in the Playstore, or if you have a link to another place that describes their features, please post. Thanks!

MobileNick

Oct 20, 2012
Visit site
I have not used Tasker - I think it's a bit more complicated than Setting Profiles but also think it can do more - has more features. Google it - I'm sure people have written blogs about how to use it.

With Setting Profiles, you create Profiles on how you want the phone to behave. For example, volume level, WiFi on/off state, Bluetooth on/off state, screen timeout, screen brightness and a whole bunch more (even wallpaper!). Then you create Rules for when a particular Profile should be invoked. The Rules can be based on location, time of day, etc. What is cool is that the Rule for location can be invoked for the inverse too.

So my Rule is based on Location. I defined a Home location by having it scan cell towers around my home. Once that was done, the AtHome profile was defined when the Rule of finding these cell towers was met. My Out profile was invoked when the inverse of finding one of these cell towers around my home was invoked. If you leave WiFi on all the time, you can get even more accurate by having it base the Profile on hooking up with your home router.

Once you have it working, you can export the settings and save them on your Google Drive or something so you don't have to do this all over when getting a new phone.