Hey everyone,

I'm having a lot of issues with a 3rd gen Moto G. I installed a 32GB MicroSD card but it has serious Mounting issues, which is apparently common across this device and perhaps Marshmallow in general.

Because Android encrypts SD cards for local use, I can't do any sort of data recovery. The SD Card worked kinda fine an hour ago when I was still able to partially view images and videos. However, when trying to transfer that data to my PC, it completely crashed and now it won't recognize the phone (or vice versa) at all.

It's my understanding that this may partially be a Marshmallow issue. How good are my chances at data recovery when the Moto G finally receives that planned Nougat update? The encryption keys wouldn't be lost because it'd be an update. I'd just buy a new phone and wait until Nougat arrives for this one.

The data is pretty important so I'm definitely not very happy about this obvious flaw, even more because it was reported by users two years ago and still hasn't been fixed.
    10-05-2016 05:09 AM
    I'm having a lot of issues with a 3rd gen Moto G. I installed a 32GB MicroSD card but it has serious Mounting issues, which is apparently common across this device and perhaps Marshmallow in general.
    It's common across phones of the same model too - an encrypted card is only guaranteed to work on the phone that encrypted it - which is why you should never encrypt one.

Because Android encrypts SD cards for local use
    Only if you encrypt it, it's not a default Android function.

However, when trying to transfer that data to my PC, it completely crashed and now it won't recognize the phone (or vice versa) at all.
    If it's a SanDisk card, go to SanDisk microSD Tech Support and use the chat function (upper right the last time I looked) to get help. If not, the data on the card is probably lost, so I hope you backed it up.

It's my understanding that this may partially be a Marshmallow issue.
    It's an encryption issue on any encryption software that's added as an afterthought.

How good are my chances at data recovery when the Moto G finally receives that planned Nougat update? The encryption keys wouldn't be lost because it'd be an update. I'd just buy a new phone and wait until Nougat arrives for this one.
    No chance at all if the card is corrupted. (If it's not, you shouldn't be having any problems now.)

The data is pretty important
    Important enough to have backed it up?

so I'm definitely not very happy about this obvious flaw, even more because it was reported by users two years ago and still hasn't been fixed.
    No one fixes operating systems that have been replaced. (Windows XP still has bugs - and they will NEVER get fixed.)
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    10-05-2016 03:14 PM
    Welcome to Android Central! Can you clarify--were you using the SD card as Adoptable Storage or Portable Storage? Since you mentioned that the card was encrypted, I figured you were talking about Adoptable Storage (which requires the system to encrypt the card).
    10-05-2016 05:50 PM