Possible to install Android TV or similar on cheap box?

A

AC Question

Hi all,
I got one of those cheap android boxes off amazon. You know the ones "octo-core, 8 million core, 6 terabyte ram, bla bla bla" piece of plastic jobbies.
Anyway, Im no fool, I know they are kinda cheapy and shady, but I was just sick and tired of my locked down fire stick and wanted to give it a try.

Anyway, my question -

It's come to my attention that it's only possible to install apps off the regular Play store, which is of corse all optimised for phones/tablets. So a bit crap with a remote, sometimes missing some features, etc.

I have really spent the last afternoon scouring the web seeing if there is a way to install either Android TV, or at least the Android TV store. But i literally can't find a mention of anyone having the same question.

Am I being totally stupid??

I suppose I could pick the apps I really want a TV version for and manually install the APK's? But it would be nice to have the full TV experience if possible.

Oh by the way, the box in question - "RUPA M8S Pro Android 5.1 TV Box" (forum won't let me put in a link)

Thanks a lot!

drzoidy

Oct 6, 2016
Visit site
Hmm yea I found that before, but that is the apps which would be available on the Android TV Play Store right? I have no way of accessing them through my normal play store, and even now through a browser it tells me "This app is incompatible with all of your devices." (and the tv box is in the drop down list)

drzoidy

Oct 6, 2016
Visit site
No-one really? I find it hard to believe - amazon is so swamped with the cheap boxes and no one is complaining about it...? I literally can't find any mention of it anywhere...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jeneral2