phone went crazy and I can't enable developer options, help? :(

A

AC Question

I have an lg g4 stylus that restarted on its own, and when it turned back on, it went in to this weird state.
the only button that works from the three buttons in the bottom, is the "back" button, the "home" button and the other one won't work.
when I scroll down the notification bar, it says "no notifications" even though I have notifications, there are no longer the options to controll brightness, or to turn on\off the wifi, internet, bluethooth, rotation and more.
I read online that when this happens, you need to enable developer options and change something there (not sure what)- and I tried to enable it by going to settings- about phone- software- build number, and pressing it 7 times, normally that would make me a developer, but it didn't work- nothing showed up when I pressed "build number".
can anyone help me enable developer options and get my phone out of this state?

Jaxximus

Jan 2, 2017
Visit site
I have an lg g4 stylus that restarted on its own, and when it turned back on, it went in to this weird state.
the only button that works from the three buttons in the bottom, is the "back" button, the "home" button and the other one won't work.
when I scroll down the notification bar, it says "no notifications" even though I have notifications, there are no longer the options to controll brightness, or to turn on\off the wifi, internet, bluethooth, rotation and more.
I read online that when this happens, you need to enable developer options and change something there (not sure what)- and I tried to enable it by going to settings- about phone- software- build number, and pressing it 7 times, normally that would make me a developer, but it didn't work- nothing showed up when I pressed "build number".
can anyone help me enable developer options and get my phone out of this state?

My dad is having this same issue with his Pixel XL. Did you ever find a solution?

Jaxximus

Jan 2, 2017
Visit site
Welcome to the forums. That sounds very similar to a bug that affected a few devices. First you could try switching to guest user from your settings and see if the notification bar works fine. Switch back to owner and check again. Also, take a look at this thread and see if the fixes included work for you.

https://forums.androidcentral.com/showthread.php?p=5507222

Tell us how it goes.
I attempted to change to a guest but it won't let me change users. As far as the other thread goes, I tried the nova launcher method but had no luck there, and the only other solution I saw there was a factory reset, which my father isn't comfortable with.

Javier P

Ambassador
Feb 21, 2014
Visit site
Not sure what else to suggest short of a factory reset, sorry. I've seen this problem affecting different devices running Marshmallow, but I think it's the first time I read about it on Nougat. I recommend you to create your own thread on the Pixel XL forum, describing all the issues and things you've already tried to fix it. This way it'll be easier getting feedback from other owners that may know how to fix it.

Heinaing

Mar 12, 2017
Visit site
Welcome to the forums. That sounds very similar to a bug that affected a few devices. First you could try switching to guest user from your settings and see if the notification bar works fine. Switch back to owner and check again. Also, take a look at this thread and see if the fixes included work for you.

https://forums.androidcentral.com/showthread.php?p=5507222

Tell us how it goes.

It works as a charm for me. Thanks a lot mate!

blasf69

Mar 22, 2013
Visit site
Hey guys sorry to bump the thread but I have a question.. I am having damn near exact problems as the OP.. and I understand to correct these problems I need to factory reset. However, I'm still curious as to why this issued happened in the first place. Anybody know?
Thanks all,
Nexus 6 CRDroid (LOS14.1) 7.1.2