I wish to free up the on-board memory on my Samsung Trend Neo (Model number SM-G318H) by running as many apps as possible from my 16gig sd-card, but the apps taking up the space on the device don't give me the option to move to the sd-card.

I've already moved as many apps as I can (the ones that gave me the option are on the sd-card already) and disabled most of the apps I don't need (At least, I don't think I need them), but it's still giving me the message, "storage running low".

The total device capability is 4.00GB, System memory is 1.81GB, and used space is 1.79GB.

Should I root the device, as I don't have to worry about a warranty? If so, how do I keep the device secure if I'm the superuser/root instead of the usual user?
    10-15-2016 10:55 AM
    Moving apps to the SD card is hardly worth the effort. You should learn to go into your application manager in settings and reset some apps you don't use. For instance select Google+ (I don't use it) and select clear cache, clear memory, uninstall update, then finally disable so it won't update from the Playstore. Hangouts, Google Music (I do use that), Google news, books, movies, kindle app, etc can all be minimized to using the least amount of memory. You can gain back almost a Gigabyte of memory. Careful to select apps you DON'T use, not system apps.
    I'm replying to this post because I'm the original author of it, and I posted it before signing up. So this reply is to ensure I can return to the post when an answer comes up.

Also, if there's a way to add this post to my account, that'd be great.

Edit: More info on my device:

Running Android 4.4.4

Please request more info, as I don't know what info will help.
    10-15-2016 11:09 AM
    If you can move apps to the SD card, it is in a limited capacity that you can do so. The purpose of the SD card is to store your pictures, videos, documents, music, and other media files.

Most apps do not let you move them to the SD card. Of the apps that do allow it, most only more parts of the app. Many times (all?) when you update the app from the playstore, the app gets moved back to the internal storage.
    B. Diddy likes this.
    10-15-2016 06:27 PM
    Moving apps to the SD card is hardly worth the effort. You should learn to go into your application manager in settings and reset some apps you don't use. For instance select Google+ (I don't use it) and select clear cache, clear memory, uninstall update, then finally disable so it won't update from the Playstore. Hangouts, Google Music (I do use that), Google news, books, movies, kindle app, etc can all be minimized to using the least amount of memory. You can gain back almost a Gigabyte of memory. Careful to select apps you DON'T use, not system apps.
    B. Diddy likes this.
    10-15-2016 07:41 PM
    Moving apps to the SD card is hardly worth the effort. You should learn to go into your application manager in settings and reset some apps you don't use.
    I have done as much of that as I'm confident enough to do, but I was worried that there might be something that I do use that requires what I haven't disabled to be active, or it won't run properly... IE: Does Google Settings need to be active if I'm using Chrome? If I attempt to disable Google Settings, a notice comes up, stating, "Disable and reset: Google Settings and all related features will be disabled. Your data will also be deleted. To enable it again, go to Settings > Application Manager." When I select "Ok", and follow prompts to uninstall, it brings up a screen which states "Can't uninstall because this package is an active device administrator".

For instance select Google+ (I don't use it) and select clear cache, clear memory, uninstall update, then finally disable so it won't update from the Playstore. Hangouts, Google Music (I do use that), Google news, books, movies, kindle app, etc can all be minimized to using the least amount of memory. You can gain back almost a Gigabyte of memory. Careful to select apps you DON'T use, not system apps.
    I've already disabled most of these. I still have a space problem.

If you can move apps to the SD card, it is in a limited capacity that you can do so. The purpose of the SD card is to store your pictures, videos, documents, music, and other media files.
    As for moving pictures and videos and music onto the sd-card, I've done that too (to the point where I can no longer open them in the app where I received them in the first place, and have to go through "My Files" to find and view/listen to/watch them again... not to mention I've had to move only the ringtones and backgrounds I want to use onto the device's memory, and have every other media item on the card.)

Most apps do not let you move them to the SD card. Of the apps that do allow it, most only more parts of the app. Many times (all?) when you update the app from the playstore, the app gets moved back to the internal storage.
    That makes sense as to why the space issue keeps coming up... It's usually after an update that I get the warning message, and I haven't checked if the apps I've put on the card are still on the card.

This is why I think I'd be better off rooting my device (despite the fact that I don't know enough, imo, to do so safely, which is why I'm asking for help here.).
    10-16-2016 08:40 AM
    Thank you, sfoLAX.
    10-16-2016 01:24 PM
    This is why I think I'd be better off rooting my device (despite the fact that I don't know enough, imo, to do so safely, which is why I'm asking for help here.).
    1. Rooting won't allow you to change where apps update to (and you don't need to root to turn off app updates).

2. If you can't find a rooting app or program for your particular model (G318H, not some other variant of the G318), don't. Look on XDA Forums for the Trend 2. If there's no app there, ask.
    10-16-2016 02:00 PM
    Well, I think the alternatives to rooting have helped me quite a bit... I'll be keeping you all posted if the memory warning/problem comes up again, and whether I end up rooting or not.

To all who have posted here, thanks for the advice.
    10-16-2016 03:40 PM
    I would backup everything, and perform a Factory Reset. This may clear some uncleared space. When it's going through the setup process, add in Gmail Account, but do NOT restore your apps from a previous install; setup as new device. Your Gmail will keep track of your apps in the Playstore for you to install later (Playstore, 3 top left lines, select My Apps, slide over to All) Then after this almost pristine install, verify any System Update (Settings, System Updates for me). If one is available, install. Then, go into applications and those Apps (careful not to select system apps) and do the clear cache, data, uninstall apps, disable on as many as you can (rule of thumb, if it's an icon in your app drawer, you can disable them). I can select the 3 dots menu and select sort by size in the Application Manager....hit the big ones first. Also be aware, you can, from time to time, go into Settings, Storage and select clear cache to clear temporary files. Also, go into your browser of choice, and clear your history from time to time. Also watch for your browser to not have so many tabs open. I helped someone, and they had so many tabs open, the number didn't fit in the box that shows how many were open (over 30 open, lol). Also, really keep your texts lean and mean...these fill up internal memory. Next time, minimum phone should have 16gb internal, 2gb RAM. All the newest phone are going 32gb, 3-4 gb RAM.
    Whusmaname likes this.
    10-18-2016 04:53 AM
    I would backup everything, and perform a Factory Reset.This may clear some uncleared space.
    Is there a specific software I need on my pc if I want to back up via usb-cable, or do you mean that I should back up to my Gmail account (If so, how do I go about doing that?)?
    When it's going through the setup process, add in Gmail Account, but do NOT restore your apps from a previous install; setup as new device. Your Gmail will keep track of your apps in the Playstore for you to install later (Playstore, 3 top left lines, select My Apps, slide over to All)
    Will do once I've figured out the best way to back up the phone... I'm hoping the usb-cable way is possible.
    Then after this almost pristine install, verify any System Update (Settings, System Updates for me). If one is available, install. Then, go into applications and those Apps (careful not to select system apps) and do the clear cache, data, uninstall apps, disable on as many as you can (rule of thumb, if it's an icon in your app drawer, you can disable them).
    There are icons in my app manager that I've selected that don't allow disabling at the moment, will they give me the option after the factory reset?
    I can select the 3 dots menu and select sort by size in the Application Manager....hit the big ones first. Also be aware, you can, from time to time, go into Settings, Storage and select clear cache to clear temporary files.
    I've gotten pretty good at clearing my cache, thanks.
    Also, go into your browser of choice, and clear your history from time to time.
    Oh, didn't think of that. I'll try that now. (Although, it is Chrome, so my history is saved to multiple devices)
    Also watch for your browser to not have so many tabs open. I helped someone, and they had so many tabs open, the number didn't fit in the box that shows how many were open (over 30 open, lol).
    I never have more than 3 tabs open. I've got a pc for that.
    Also, really keep your texts lean and mean...these fill up internal memory.
    Does that include Whatsapps? 'cos a lot of the time, that isn't my fault... the whatsapps I receive are usually the main culprit, because I can't control what I'm sent...
    Next time, minimum phone should have 16gb internal, 2gb RAM. All the newest phone are going 32gb, 3-4 gb RAM.
    Next time, minimum phone probably will have more... not always up to me, as I have yet to buy a phone, because I've either had one given to me, or I wait until a family member/friend upgrades and I get their old phone.
    10-18-2016 05:23 PM
    I gave my suggestions, yours to follow if you like. I am on a carrier, Verizon, which provides a great backup solution called Verizon Cloud. There are many backup solutions in the Playstore. Contacts, calendar can backup to Gmail/Google if you have been entering them on your phone into Gmail. LG gives a great backup solution, allows it to backup everything to an SD Card; do did Samsung Smart Switch. I have you the best way to maximize your phone's memory. Good luck.
    10-19-2016 05:44 PM
    through phone setting
    05-30-2017 06:30 AM