Good evening, been a long time since my last post, but still enjoy lurking the forums when I can.

I find myself in the situation where I have a 4 month old Galaxy S7 and I am not delighted with it nor do I enjoy the Sammy overlay. I was originally a BB guy who moved to Android with an Atrix 2, HTC, Nexus 5, etc. Really love the ecosystem, but truly enjoy the vanilla Android OS most. So obviously the Nexus 5 was my favorite device. The Nexus 5 has given up the ghost, and I moved to the Sammy. Sorry Sammy fans, I am not a fan...

So I have $375 - $400 I can spend on a new device. I am quite interested in the Nextbit Robin, but nervous about the battery life, and some of the other troubles some have had. It is $199 on Amazon now, which makes it almost a no-brainer but, I am still open to other devices, preferably new even if they are a bit older.

So with that said, I am focused on the Nexus 5x and the Motos. What devices am I missing that would bring the near-vanilla Android OS experience like I recently had with my Nexus 5? One last thing, I am fairly strong on Moto, Nexus, LG, etc., not so sure I would venture into Blu, Alcatel, etc... but I may be missing something.

Thank you for any suggestions.
    Bob
    10-15-2016 09:04 PM
    Welcome back.

Got time for a movie?

The current killer is the One Plus Three which is pretty stock. I think the 5X is getting cheap now and running better for the most part on Marshmallow.

I like the Moto Z Play myself for the long battery life, Amoled 5.5" screen at 1080p and new super efficient SD625 SoC which seems to run very well.

There have been other group reviews, best $400 phone, and threads on Android Central.

The $400 Android phone showdown! http://www.androidcentral.com/mrmobi...droid-showdown

Also try this :

http://forums.androidcentral.com/sho...d.php?t=731831

--------
    Added:

Best Android Phone Under $400 http://www.androidcentral.com/best-a...ones-under-400
    Javier P and Laura Knotek like this.
    10-16-2016 07:21 AM
    Hello Bob, welcome back. Yeah, OP3 or Moto Z Play would be my first choices. Great specs, fair price and without a heavy skin on to of Android.
    sfoLAX and Laura Knotek like this.
    10-16-2016 07:24 AM
    Thanks to sfoLAX and Javier P, great advice and excellent input.

After continued research and much second-guessing myself, I selected the Mot G4 Plus. It suited the primary criteria for me; a near-vanilla Android experience. I found one locally at Best Buy and am delighted with the device. Batery seems to be as good as or better than the S7. The OS is of course excellent.

Transitioning from the S7 to the Moto G4 was easy, updates were run overnight, and yesterday was good to go.

Thanks again to Android Central, and Mobile Nations for always providing great information, thoughtful input, and for being a trusted source!
    Bob
    Javier P, Laura Knotek and sfoLAX like this.
    10-19-2016 10:10 AM
    Good choice too.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    10-19-2016 11:06 AM
    Yep, good choice. Thanks for your kind words.
    10-19-2016 12:35 PM
    Hi pineypl, I see you've selected a phone already, but it's been really cool for me to see I'm not the only one liking stock Android more than the galaxy s7. Currently I am deliberating on whether or not to switch from an S7 to a Moto Z Play Droid. (I'm on Verizon) I was close to going back to my Nexus 6 with the beloved vanilla Android experience before I discovered the Z Play. The battery life is just as good as everyone says, how has the camera performance been on the moto g4 plus?
    sfoLAX likes this.
    10-23-2016 08:26 PM
    I am an addict in every sense of the word, a phone addict that is. Lol. Anyway in the last two weeks I went from the blackberry passport se running bb10 to the Moto z play to currently using the Nextbit Robin (170) at B & H photo. I just received it tonight so I will have to give it a few days to see how the battery is. The Moto z play has the best battery out of any phone I have used And that would be a lot of phones. If it don't work out with Robin I will go back to the Moto Z
    sfoLAX likes this.
    12-13-2016 05:21 PM
    One day later...... Robin and I are breaking up. Honestly the phone sucks. That's my opinion. Just ordered another blackberry priv.
    sfoLAX likes this.
    12-14-2016 04:19 PM