AT&T Sees My Phone as a Tablet...I Think

Scienceguy Labs

Trusted Member
Sep 16, 2015
Visit site
So, I bought a Huawei Mediapad X2 to replace the Honor X2 that I'm selling. Basically, they are the exact same phones, only with different branding. However, when I put my AT&T sim card in the Mediapad X2, the APN that the phone sets up is called ATT Broadband. When the sim card is in the Honor X2, the APN that is set up is called ATT Phone. Now, using the Honor X2, I get full phone functionality plus SMS/MMS using Google Messenger. However, when using the Mediapad X2, I get phone functionality with only partial texting functionality. I can text back and forth between one person with no issue. But, group texts fail every time, however. Also, I can't send an image in a text at all using the Mediapad X2. I've added APNs based on internet searches, but still get the same results. Does anyone know what might be going on? Is AT&T thinking that my MX2 is just a tablet? If that were the case, would any texting functions be working at all? Any help would be appreciated. Thank you. :)

Erik Veston

Oct 10, 2017
Visit site
I'm having the same issue. I have a Huawei mediapad x2 on att also and cannot use any mms functions (pictures & group texting) sms works fine and data works fine with a phone APN. I was on the phone for a while with att troubleshooting and they found that "their system" identifies my IMEI as a tablet and thats about all they could tell me. I've tried all different apn settings with no luck fixing my mms problem. Its really driving me crazy too because I was using this exact phone in the same area about 8 or 9 months ago and had the issue but fixed it somehow and all was good. I dont know it att changed something major in the last 8 or 9 months or what but its very annoying that all I get from them is a lame "sorry,.... blah blah blah" and a sales pitch to buy a new att phone...... I would if they had one with 7" screen like this huawei unit. anyway, is there any idea in a way to fix this? i'm basically going to try nagging att for a while longer through different avenues and see if I can get a different answer hopefully.