Repeating first letter when typing on Samsung Galaxy keyboard

A

AC Question

Hello,
Within the last week my Samsung GALAXY S6 edge phone has started to do repeating first letters when I use the stock Samsung keyboard that it came with. Not for every word all the time but occasionally. I actually have to finish typing the word and then go to the front double letter and delete one of them.

It also won't let me type a letter after a bracket without it automatically on its own adding an extra bracket "(". The only way I can stop this is by turning predictive text off but this also turns the auto correct spelling off which is not helpful.

Here's the interesting thing. My keyboard is having no glitches now as I'm typing into this android help post. However when I switch to my fb app and try to type a message, or when I use the stock email app to try to type an email, it won't work properly.

Here's an example of repeating first letter of words.
"DDear"
"tthis"

Here's an example of what happens when I try to type a bracket and then a letter immediately after it. You can see it automatically adds one additional bracket. I can only get past this by pressing the letter I wanted a second time. If I back space the additional bracket it still won't let me type a letter without adding the second bracket on its own first and then me having to press the letter a second time. Example below:
"((Once more)"

And for some reason on this android forum my typing isn't recreating this problem I'm having when typing on fb messages and email... So strange. Any help appreciated.

HeroicDiva

Oct 27, 2016
Visit site
Mine has started doing the same thing in the last few days. It has also not been consistently capitalizing the first letter after a period and it has been making some crazy autocorrects (such as replacing real, correctly spelled words with totally different and dissimilar ones or deleting entire words in a sentence after it changes a different one.) Ex. While typing this post, it turned "possible" into "siegler" and changed "typing" to "typingredients."

I also have the problem of words being replaced with email addresses.

Would love to hear about any possible solutions that don't involve turning off predictive text or autocorrect.

Last edited:

taylorlegal

Oct 28, 2016
Visit site
I am having the same problem of repeating first letters (tthe, ddesk, pphone) on my Samsung Galaxy S7. It started about a week ago. I am ready to toss it out the window. It takes 3 times as long to type a text other email because I have to keep going back and deleting the duplicate letters. Help!

wendivenable

Oct 29, 2016
Visit site
I will be populating a email space and as soon as I hit the @ sign it creates a double first letter automatically and I cant stop it

wendi@
becomes automatically
wwendi@
and there is no way around it
also when I type a text message it grabs email addresses I have sent mail to and I have to clear and correct to say what I intended

belodion

Co-Ambassador Team Lead
Jun 10, 2014
Visit site

Lewistwosticks

Oct 30, 2016
Visit site
I had the exact same problem starting a few days ago. Removing the Android System Webview Update solved the problem! Thank you so much..you saved me a ton of time!! So much that I signed up to the forum just so I could thank you.

belodion

Co-Ambassador Team Lead
Jun 10, 2014
Visit site
How do you Uninstall the Android System Webview Update??
Welcome. :)

On the Nexus 5 I'm using right now, it's Settings, Apps, scroll to the Android System Web view app, tap to open, then tap 3-dot menu top right for the Uninstall Updates option.
I'm not familiar with Samsungs....it may be a little different on them.

aasomenzi

Oct 30, 2016
Visit site
This started tonight for me but only with yahoo mail. I had to send an email to my daughter's teacher so I looked like a complete goof as it kept adding double first letters, replacing letters with symbols (c replaced with . for example), deleting letters and would not let me use an apostrophe when needed and would not let me fix any of it :(
I disabled the web view app mentioned by others on my galaxy s6. Settings -> applications -> android web view -> disable. Instant fix. Thanks everyone!

Tripleto

Oct 31, 2016
Visit site
Just a heads-up ---- I too started having the same problem several days ago with my Samsung Galaxy S7 especially in my mail app. After using the solution mentioned above earlier this evening, the keyboard finally responded properly; however, it was short-lived. The problem returned as before. I went through the same procedure a second time. Hopefully it will be more permanent this time.

Chris Cassidy1

Nov 1, 2016
Visit site
Disabling the webview also worked for me on galaxy S7. Settings --> Device --> Applications --> Application manager.

I was also having issues that when typing it would not auto-capitalize first letter in an line and double space was not producing a period. Also fixed now.

Chico209

Nov 1, 2016
Visit site
I googled for hours looking for anyone else having the same issue. I registered here just for this lol. Mine does this in chrome and several apps. It is worse when I type the underscore symbol "_". I uinstalled Web view update still had the problem. Disable Web view now and cleared data from keyboard crossing fingers now. I have an S7 stock.

Edit: still doing it :( type a sentence with _ as a test. My test h__re see it made the e another _ :(

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
trudycharles