Repeating first letter when typing on Samsung Galaxy keyboard

A

AC Question

Hello,
Within the last week my Samsung GALAXY S6 edge phone has started to do repeating first letters when I use the stock Samsung keyboard that it came with. Not for every word all the time but occasionally. I actually have to finish typing the word and then go to the front double letter and delete one of them.

It also won't let me type a letter after a bracket without it automatically on its own adding an extra bracket "(". The only way I can stop this is by turning predictive text off but this also turns the auto correct spelling off which is not helpful.

Here's the interesting thing. My keyboard is having no glitches now as I'm typing into this android help post. However when I switch to my fb app and try to type a message, or when I use the stock email app to try to type an email, it won't work properly.

Here's an example of repeating first letter of words.
"DDear"
"tthis"

Here's an example of what happens when I try to type a bracket and then a letter immediately after it. You can see it automatically adds one additional bracket. I can only get past this by pressing the letter I wanted a second time. If I back space the additional bracket it still won't let me type a letter without adding the second bracket on its own first and then me having to press the letter a second time. Example below:
"((Once more)"

And for some reason on this android forum my typing isn't recreating this problem I'm having when typing on fb messages and email... So strange. Any help appreciated.

Chico209

Nov 1, 2016
Visit site
This is terrible I locked myself out of my online banking today I missed it was doubling the first letter of my password since my bank site requires special characters in password and only shows * as you type. When I typed the special characters it ddouble the first lletter jjust like tthis lol when you backspace too.

Only thing that fixes it for me is to turn off predictive text, but now swipe doesn't work my primary means of typing.

Last edited:

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
My wife noticed this issue today on her Note5 -- when trying to type out a time, the digit after the colon would automatically be replaced by another colon, and the character after an open parenthesis would be replaced by another open parenthesis. Uninstalling the Android System Webview updates also solved this temporarily (thanks for the solution, cflshawn!), and hopefully there will be a patch in the next app update that fixes it. Since Android System Webview is related to security, it's not a long-term solution to keep it at the factory version, so when the next update rolls out, I'll give it a try and see if the keyboard issue comes back.

I just sent an email to apps-help@google.com to let them know about this issue. The more feedback they get, the better, so I encourage you to do the same!

cwolfey

Mar 26, 2015
Visit site
Thank you.

I also didn't know what to search for to explain my problem..

Same exact thing..
I use fraction some times to explain measurements.. and it won't let me type: 1/2 in emails..

Will try the fix. Thank you

MGreene7

Nov 3, 2016
Visit site
Just noticed Webview was updated as of 10.31.2016 - "What's new?" includes "Bug Fixes and Performance."

Downloaded it - seems to have fixed the problem (fingers crossed.)

Wwas ddriving mme ccrazy!

rodalfa

Jun 30, 2015
Visit site
Seems Google (was responsible and) has solved the bug, the Beta version of Android System Webview in Play Store (v. 55.0.2883.36) is working fine with Samsung Keyboard again. The current version (54.0.2840.68) has the problem.

alp113

Nov 8, 2016
Visit site
Signed up just to say thank you so much for this fix! My father was ready to throw his tablet out the window over this bug. I uninstalled the android system webview - will it need to be reinstalled at a later date or will new updates cover it?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
I uninstalled the android system webview - will it need to be reinstalled at a later date or will new updates cover it?
I would keep checking the Android System Webview app page in the Google Play Store, and update it again when the current version is beyond 10/19/16. It's still a good idea to keep Android System Webview updated if possible, because it also includes security patches.

Andy Vogt

Nov 8, 2016
Visit site
I noticed several people mention yahoo mail in here and I had just installed yahoo mail before this started. Out of curiosity I removed the yahoo mail app and the problem went away. Looks like the yahoo mail app is causing the bug.

rodalfa

Jun 30, 2015
Visit site
Nooo, Android Webview is causing it! Yahoo mail is probably using webviews, like Google Inbox. But any other app using webviews should present the problem! (Of course, if you unistall all apps using webview, it dissappears! ;-) )

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
arslan