Repeating first letter when typing on Samsung Galaxy keyboard

A

AC Question

Hello,
Within the last week my Samsung GALAXY S6 edge phone has started to do repeating first letters when I use the stock Samsung keyboard that it came with. Not for every word all the time but occasionally. I actually have to finish typing the word and then go to the front double letter and delete one of them.

It also won't let me type a letter after a bracket without it automatically on its own adding an extra bracket "(". The only way I can stop this is by turning predictive text off but this also turns the auto correct spelling off which is not helpful.

Here's the interesting thing. My keyboard is having no glitches now as I'm typing into this android help post. However when I switch to my fb app and try to type a message, or when I use the stock email app to try to type an email, it won't work properly.

Here's an example of repeating first letter of words.
"DDear"
"tthis"

Here's an example of what happens when I try to type a bracket and then a letter immediately after it. You can see it automatically adds one additional bracket. I can only get past this by pressing the letter I wanted a second time. If I back space the additional bracket it still won't let me type a letter without adding the second bracket on its own first and then me having to press the letter a second time. Example below:
"((Once more)"

And for some reason on this android forum my typing isn't recreating this problem I'm having when typing on fb messages and email... So strange. Any help appreciated.

AndroidDev111

Nov 11, 2016
Visit site
My contact within Samsung tells me that this is Android System Webview issue. Google identified the problem and released a fix in version 54.0.2840.82 or higher. If you have an auto-update enabled, you should have gotten this update already. If you are not in a position to upgrade, then reverting Android Webiew back to factory default version would resolve the issue.

Hope this helps!

jgb14

Mar 8, 2011
Visit site
Hi Folk's I am having the same issue as stated above I have uninstalled the webview and that did not solve the issue (I have also cleared the partition cache just in case) additionally I have downloaded another keyboard app to check with the same results, re-installed and uninstalled the webview app to be sure it was uninstalled properly. Some reports say it is only issue when typing emails in my case it is everything, text, web, and so on. One other issue but nor sure related but seem to have started at the same time is with not receiving all of my texts. I use Textra and it's been flawless until the double letter thing which only happens to the bottom row of keys on the keyboard.

Thanks in advance

MsAtx

Dec 25, 2016
Visit site
Hi Folk's I am having the same issue as stated above I have uninstalled the webview and that did not solve the issue (I have also cleared the partition cache just in case) additionally I have downloaded another keyboard app to check with the same results, re-installed and uninstalled the webview app to be sure it was uninstalled properly. Some reports say it is only issue when typing emails in my case it is everything, text, web, and so on. One other issue but nor sure related but seem to have started at the same time is with not receiving all of my texts. I use Textra and it's been flawless until the double letter thing which only happens to the bottom row of keys on the keyboard.

Thanks in advance

HI, glad I found your response, bc like you, uninstalling the Web View app did not solve the problem - but, I was found the culprit in my case: Gboard. I enabled that and selected the Samsung board :)

The problem I was having was simular to other posters except mine was "last" of words repeated itself when I used the backspace key to make a correction. It would do this even if I moved the cursor a few spaces forward before trying to delete the double letter. However, I noticed it was doing this on maybe the 4th or 5th letter in a sentence.

I hope this helps someone experiencing the same.
Samsung Galaxy Note 5

jgb14

Mar 8, 2011
Visit site
HI, glad I found your response, bc like you, uninstalling the Web View app did not solve the problem - but, I was found the culprit in my case: Gboard. I enabled that and selected the Samsung board :)

The problem I was having was simular to other posters except mine was "last" of words repeated itself when I used the backspace key to make a correction. It would do this even if I moved the cursor a few spaces forward before trying to delete the double letter. However, I noticed it was doing this on maybe the 4th or 5th letter in a sentence.

I hope this helps someone experiencing the same.
Samsung Galaxy Note 5

Thank You MsAtx

I see you have the Note 5 I have the S6 Edge and I cannot find on my device the GBoard. I will do some searches but where is the option located I do not have it where I would anticipate in the language and input selection.

Thank you

jgb14

Mar 8, 2011
Visit site
I am not she / he but I noticed Gboard in my Applications a few days ago. It's the new name for the Google Keyboard, and while I can't remember on a past Samsung if it's also installed by default, you should find it listed in Applications ( Manager) but no icon in the App Drawer (though I thought there was).

If it's not selectable in Language and Input as an alternative keyboard or you still have Google keyboard there you can update / download Gboard from the Play Store.

THank you. Yes I did see it in the play store (I should have looked before posted) I installed but still no difference.

El Sparko

Jan 30, 2017
Visit site
I have had the same problem. It's now disappeared though but I'm not sure what I actually did to cure the issue?! I'm a bit of a maniac for deleting stuff out of my phone because storage space is limited on my Samsung Galaxy S6 32Gb (I have about 18Gb of '70s/'80s reggae stored on there which I keep meaning to download to an SD card - I have a great SD Card connector called "Smart Reader", I got it on eBay for a couple of quid, it takes micro & standard size SD cards, USB input, micro USB charger input & a couple of other inputs. It's a cool thing for S6 users who want to transfer/copy files to SD cards as there's no SD card slot in the S6 32Gb) Sorry for digressing. Have you tried switching off the Samsung keyboard and switching it on again? Try resetting the Predictive Text and Auto-Capitalization. I can't remember exactly what I did to cure the issue but try giving your phone a good file/storage/app cleaning, along with cleaning the RAM etc. I use the Avast Cleanup free app. I hope this helps someone out there.
El Sparko. Bristol. BS10. 😎

BeachSlinky83

Feb 8, 2017
Visit site
Hello! New to the boardss and Ive been experiencing issues with lettters repeating (as you can see). It affects me while I use Chrromeee as weellll as Verizon Message +. Ive uninstalled Webview as suggested and even hard reset my phone. Both times it was fine then it began again. Oh and I even downloaded Swiftkey which also gave results til it didn't. Ive begun using my tablet more often because of this! *tugs at hair*

MJMcCaff

Mar 25, 2017
Visit site
Re: Repeating keystrikes when typing on Samsung GIalaxy keyboard

I'm in the same boat too with Galaxy S6 Edge. Have deleted and re-installed Android System Webview - now have the Feb 17 release. Have changed to the GBoard keyboard. Still multi-striking continuously. It really does make the phone very painful to use!

ethalfrida

Mar 16, 2016
Visit site
I have the same problem but it is on my Samsung Galaxy tablet. Suddenly typing inserts the same word twice with no spaces; will not type the entire word; inserts double letters at the beginning. I tried looking for the Android System Webview Update and cannot locate it. It is not listed under applications manager/applications. It is horrible on Facebook. I tried to type "that's okay" and it came out "tattattat okay". Can someone help with this?

Oct 4, 2017
Visit site
I am seeing this same issue on my Samsung Galaxy 8, but only when using some apps. is this still a keyboard issue? I couldn't find Android System Webview Update or the Gingerbread keyboard on my cell phone. It is not listed under applications.

Does anyone have a suggestion?

Thanks,
Jim

urusaisamurai

Nov 27, 2017
Visit site
Hi,
have you tried to turn off Predictive Text in the Smart Typing setting? It solved the problem for me on my S8. :)

Settings -> General Management -> Language and Input -> On-screen keyboard -> Samsung Keyboard

Just turn off the switch for the Predictive Text setting.

Hope it works. :)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kirk781