I have just joined university and they have given me an email to use with the domain "@myport.ac.uk" which is not google, however, when going into Gmail and Drive, the Google logo at the top left corner is replaced with their logo. I was wondering is it safe to be signed into this university provided account onto my phone which is running Android Marshmallow. I'm worried that this account will be able to access my personal stuff. Can anyone help? Is it safe to be signing into and linking "myname]@myport.ac.uk" as a Google account on my Galaxy S7 edge running Android Marshmallow without any concerns. What permissions does the university have over my details and personal app/files on my phone. Also is this the same case as with signing in on desktop Chrome?
    10-24-2016 08:29 AM
    The account is just an account. No problem there. However, since the account belongs to the university, they have some control over it like what it can access on the network and when it is to be disabled.

Associated with the account is the ability to access resources on the university's network. This might require you to install software required by the admins of the university's network, similar to a company's admins requiring certain apps be installed before allowing their employees access to the company's network. THIS could possibly cause concerns, but normally the admins are up front about what the apps do and why the apps are needed.
    10-24-2016 03:40 PM