Is this a screen problem or something else ?

A

AC Question

So this happened to my old S3 some time ago and I never tried to fix it or look into anything, recently I just restored it to stock firmware but I still have the same problem with the screen
My question is, is this a problem with the screen the main board or what does cause this problem with the phone ?
I think a picture will explain everything.
http://i,imgur,com/uAMWw3I.jpg replace , with .
It renders a 5th of the screen at the top and very slowly and the rest looks like some kind of purple/pink stars? ! it gets worse and worse as its kept unlocked.

htczed

Oct 30, 2016
Visit site
Well I already formatted it and returned it to stock firmware so rest in peace data, I want to change the screen but I don't want to spend the money on it if that isn't the only thing wrong with it, do you know how I could inspect the other parts of the phone if they are ok, the sensors seem to be working fine and the LED in the corner for the rest I can't say much because I can't see anything.

Erme

Oct 31, 2016
Visit site
To check if the rest of the phone was OK, I used screenshots (Home button + power button) and connected the phone to a PC to see the screenshots. You navigate the menus on the phone through the broken screen and check that everything works fine... It takes some time though... Then, theres also *#0*#, which is kind of a set of tests that you can run on the phone to see if everything is OK. You "dial" that code on the phone, and it automatically takes you to the tests menu. You can also google for other tests menues available for your model... they all are accessed form the dialing screen.
I am no expert but I think this could also be something on your graphics chip... Does the screen work bad as soon as it's turned on or does it suddenly get all messed up? Also, have you tried cleaning and readjusting the cable connectors? Maybe they have some dust in them and thats why it gets worse and worse.

htczed

Oct 30, 2016
Visit site
A part of the screen works when i unlock it but its kinda messed up and the other black part just keeps getting more pink and changes to white and other colors over time its left unlocked, I will try cleaning the connectors.