Better battery performance stats?

mwake4goten

Jun 27, 2014
Visit site
TL:DR is there a way (app) to combine CPU usage with SOT statistics for better performance analysis?

I have a general question about phone usage...for me when ever I read about people talking and comparing screen on time statistics (SOT) like others I find that that SOT statistics doesn't really paint a true picture of battery efficiency.... For example the screen can be on but the phone might not be doing much intensive. So it's difficult to use SOT as the last word on battery efficiency.

I have Gsam app installed but was just thinking that if there was an app that could not only record SOT but record the CPU usage and then use the SOT and CPU usage to give a deeper more useful insight into battery performance especially when comparing with other users.

I was thinking something like the old Microsoft Windows performance index kinda thing...I think Gsam does report CPU usage but not in the kinda way that I was trying to explain in the previous paragraph... I think this would be cool because combining the CPU usage statistics with SOT would take a lot of the hassle out of relying just on SOT statistics alone especially when comparing battery performance with other people. I was thinking the app could record and classify CPU usage as light, medium or heavy and then combine that with SOT. Maybe even then users could chose to upload usage to a server so as to help build ans contribute to a general index. Is this a silly idea or is there an app that does this kind of thing already? Many thanks for reading.

nahoku

Jan 26, 2013
Visit site
I wouldn't say the gist of the idea is silly, but I question the use of it. I mean, what use would these stats serve other than to compare what Joe's phone can do in relation to Mike's phone? To me battery stats are irrelevant in the scheme of how you use your phone. They change all the time, from day to day, from light to heavy use. In the end, when the battery gets low, you charge it. What else is there to do? I could care less what your SOT is, and knowing my SOT wouldn't do you much good either. Then again, I own a Note 4 that has a removable/replaceable battery, so I can go all out if I want to, and just swap batteries when I need to. I guess if your battery is embedded, SOT might mean something.

mwake4goten

Jun 27, 2014
Visit site
I wouldn't say the gist of the idea is silly, but I question the use of it. I mean, what use would these stats serve other than to compare what Joe's phone can do in relation to Mike's phone? To me battery stats are irrelevant in the scheme of how you use your phone. They change all the time, from day to day, from light to heavy use. In the end, when the battery gets low, you charge it. What else is there to do? I could care less what your SOT is, and knowing my SOT wouldn't do you much good either. Then again, I own a Note 4 that has a removable/replaceable battery, so I can go all out if I want to, and just swap batteries when I need to. I guess if your battery is embedded, SOT might mean something.
Well said...yes I think I think the SOT issue is more about built in batteries... I guess ive seen some individuals makes some claims of batteries that last for tens of hours, even days... So some sorry of index score that took in wifi strength, mobile signal strength, CPU usage would help to clear the debates on phone batteries...

To be honest I have HTC phones and I love them but would sacrifice some aesthetic beauty for a removable battery... Maybe HTC 11 will have removable battery then I won't have to worry about battery so much 😊

nahoku

Jan 26, 2013
Visit site
Yes, I've read a lot of those stories talking about ridiculous SOT. I agree with you that most are not realistic, or for sure not accurate. Too much variance with how the phone was used.

I used to use HTC phones (Inc 1 & 2) until I switched to my Note 4. I loved my HTC's before too! Now I need the S Pen though, so all bets are off until other manufactures start incorporating one... they'll need to have a removable battery to boot!

I guess people have different ideas about aesthetics. Nowadays all phones simply look, well, rectangular to me... even if they have rounded corners. I'm not much on aesthetics and don't go for curved edges or glass backs. To me it's just a waste of time to have that... especially the back! Who looks at the back!?? Samsung in their infinite wisdom thinks easily crackable phones are a great thing... sad! And the Pixel... what's with the half glass back... is it even GG? The LG V20 has a removable battery so I guess good looking sleek phones can still have one... it even comes with "back cover and battery auto-reject" if you happen to drop it! LOL! I've read some people carry the phone in their back pocket and the cover comes off from the pressure. They'll probably redesign the back cover in the next iteration so it doesn't come off so easily.

I don't quite remember when manufactures started going to non-removable batteries but it might have been when they started getting greedier (built-in obsolescence). Why do people think its for aesthetic purposes that the battery got embedded? It's not like the phone couldn't be a few mm's thicker to handle it. Heck, most people put a thick case on it anyways which expands it way beyond that.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Agentirish