When driving by a Pilot (or similar), my phone picks up their wifi signal and it opens my browser automatically to their page covering my phone's gps map. I've never used their wifi and don't plan to. It is very annoying to have it automatically open my browser and interrupt whatever is on my screen -- usually a gps map and I have to close it and go back to my map. How can I stop this from happening?

Thanks.
    11-19-2016 11:45 AM
    These directions are based on my Nexus 6P, and may only apply to Nexus devices. Your device may vary.

Go into the WiFi menu, tap the gear at the top. In that screen, turn off the WiFi assistant which tried to connect to open WiFi networks automatically. I would also go into the saved networks ad remove the Pilot one if it's there.
    11-19-2016 01:10 PM
    hallux, thanks for responding so quickly. I asked the question but wasn't logged in so I could reply to you.

I have a "Network notification" setting to notify whenever a public network is available. It was already turned off.

I also have a "Wi-Fi Auto Join available" setting. It was also already turned off.

I searched the "Saved Networks" and removed several networks -- all that I thought might be responsible although I didn't find anything saying Pilot, Flying J or the "wanderingwifi" network they use. There were many networks in the list for hotels, businesses, etc., that I had no idea were in there because I never used them. However, none of them automatically take over my phone and open my browser like Pilot does when I drive by them on a highway. If Pilot is doing something "extra" take over my phone just because I'm in the area and pick up their wifi signal, that is very annoying and should be made to stop.

Thanks again for responding,
    11-19-2016 02:05 PM
    It's odd that your phone is doing that. Worst I get is something in the notification pull-down that asks me to agree to the terms of the network, and it opens a dedicated app for the agreement.
    11-19-2016 08:02 PM
    When it pops up, see if you can connect to Pilot wifi. Then look in your wifi list and you'll see which connection is in use. "Forget" that connection.
    11-19-2016 09:29 PM