Trouble with hotmail email

A

AC Question

My emails from my hotmail address have not been coming through using the standard email app on my Samsung s6 edge. The Gmail account that I have synced has been working fine just not the hotmail. I have removed the hotmail address and tried to add it back and now it gets stuck on checking incoming server settings. Can anyone help as I'm pulling my hair out. Thanks

Nov 21, 2016
Visit site
So glad I found this thread! I have been having the same issue since night before last. It's even on my Amazon fire tablet, so I don't think it's the phone itself (Samsung Galaxy S7).
I have restarted the phone, uninstalled the email app, restarted and reinstalled it....no luck at all.

andyppppppppp

Nov 21, 2016
Visit site
As MS stays 100% quiet about this issue, let me help you uncover it !

Can you go to your WEBMAIL outlook account please ? Go to hotmail.com and log in to your account.

Then go to options>pop&imap

First enable POP if you haven't yet.

Then secondly, have a look at the set protocols :

in the option pop&imap you can see the protocols used for incoming mail and outgoing mail.

Incoming should be "SSL"...but I suspect you have it set to "TLS"

Outgoing (smtp) should be "TLS", but you probably have it set at "STARTTLS".

This is MICROSOFT's doing, NOT YOURS !

MS is migrating (it seems) those protocols globally, from SSL to TLS for incoming mail, and from TLS to STARTTLS for outgoing mail.

I have already mentioned this to MS support, and all they can respond is that I have a 'misbehaving' account. Which is total BS by the way. All my accounts are verified.

So for everyone having sync issues, and I mean EVERYONE globally having issues syncing outlook on either MS Outlook app, Android or Iphone, Ipad,... anything other than the webmail itself, is in fact affected by this change in mail protocols !

If you have sync issues, check the pop&imap option, if you have TLS and STARTTLS instead of SSL and TLS, then you should blame MS, because it is a GLOBAL issue coming from THEIR SERVER END !

Hope THIS will help a LOT of users out there THINKING it is something they can fix. The END-USER CANNOT FIX THIS !!!

MS should first pull their finger and admit this issue, then start to fix it.

So support, pls STOP giving us the run-around. The issue is SERVER-END, and has to do with the protocol change in MANY BUT NOT ALL hotmail accounts.

Dean exia

Nov 23, 2016
Visit site
Also having the same issue. I have 2 outlook/hotmail accounts. Noticed that I was suddenly receiving less emails. I decided to check whats up and noticed that one email was last synced 2 days ago and all the others were syncing actively. Nothing I did could relieve the problem. I ended up trying to remove and readd the email account and now it is stuck on "checking incoming server settings". Don't recommend you guys removing the email.

Dean exia

Nov 23, 2016
Visit site
Well I fiddled a bit and checked some posts. I went into manual setup for adding the email and changed the exchange server to oulook.live.com and it worked wonderfully. I was acutally surprised.