I got a new phone a few weeks ago, a Galaxy Core with Tracfone. It worked great for a few days, then I took it into one of my classrooms with me. This classroom historically has no reception, but it's never been a problem before, my old phone would just search for reception all through class and when I left the classroom, it would connect again and everything would be fine. However, with my new phone, the network was lost and I was never able to regain it. 4 hours of customer service and two factory resets later, I finally decided to just return the phone and order a new one, thinking it was a hardware issue.
    New phone comes in the mail, this time a Galaxy Luna. Again, it worked great for some time, then as soon as I took it into the infamous classroom, bam! no service.
    I have:
    1) restarted
    2) factory reset
    3)removed/cleaned battery
    4) removed/cleaned sim card
    5) wiped cache partition

Nothing works. I have no idea what's going on! Why is it that two completely different phone models have issues that my old phone never had? What can I do about it? I desperately need a new phone, but at this rate I might have to limp along with the old phone forever....
    anon(870071) likes this.
    11-21-2016 08:57 PM
    Welcome to Android Central! Is your Tracfone service through CDMA or GSM towers? If it's through CDMA, ask customer service to reprovision the phone. If it's GSM, then ask for a new SIM card. If you can get it working again, I would suggest turning on Airplane Mode whenever you go to that classroom, and then turn Airplane Mode off again when you leave.
    Welcome to Android Central! Is your Tracfone service through CDMA or GSM towers? If it's through CDMA, ask customer service to reprovision the phone. If it's GSM, then ask for a new SIM card. If you can get it working again, I would suggest turning on Airplane Mode whenever you go to that classroom, and then turn Airplane Mode off again when you leave.
    11-21-2016 09:48 PM
    So I have requested a new sim card, we will see if that works. However, I am concerned because this issue happened with two entirely different phones, two entirely different sim cards. So I don't have any reassurance that the new sim card will fix the problem. All my carrier can tell me is that they have no control over faulty equipment and that I should simply turn off my phone when going into no reception areas. But what happens when there's a storm and the cell towers are temporarily down? Or if I accidentally go to a place not realizing there's no reception? For example, my school library has reception on the second floor but not the first. I really shouldn't have to worry about this.

Does anyone here have a more advanced understanding of this problem? I was able to contact the local cell phone repair store, and he said that it's likely it a network problem, that my Tracfone service has a bug in it's 4G coverage so if I were to buy a 3G phone I would have more success. Does this sound right to those of you who know about these things? I'm really interested to know what my options are here so that I don't have to babysit my coverage. Tracfone has been amazing all three years that I've had it, so I'll be extremely disappointed if I can't continue using them...
    11-22-2016 05:23 PM