The scandalous status of GMail app permissions (Privacy anyone?!?)

A

AC Question

Go to settings, Apps.
Forbid all permissions to gmail, just leave contacts and storage.
Remove ALL permissions to Google Play Services app.
Writing a mail using Gmail app becomes a nightmare.
GMail all will continiouusly complain he needs permissions to phone (???), BODY SENSORS (?????) and maaany other. You have NO accesss to Contacts (GMail app has it! Play Services doesn't but hey, it's a MAIL i'm writing!).
ALSO, with previous gmail version it still complained, but at least it had access to contacts; now it does not anymore, leaving app USELESS, still having all permissions it really needs (Contacts, Storage. Do i need to provide Body Sensors permissions to read/write mails?!?! REALLY???)

Tim1954

Q&A Team
Jan 17, 2016
Visit site
At least we have granulated permissions since marshmallow so we can block the more intrusive ones. Microsoft is just as bad, they openly admit to selling your details.... That's the price we pay for all that "free" technology.... Revolting

g1142932

Aug 24, 2016
Visit site
Body sensor!! On a mail app...
And, more incredible, GMail app already *has* contact permission! It's play services who doesn't! AND COMPLAINS!!!
So, GMail app is strongly tied to (at least) Play Services app!
What the heck!!!

Is there something else big G is hiding?!?

ManiacJoe

Trusted Member
Aug 5, 2015
Visit site
Something seems really strange here. The Gmail app (6.11.6.x) on my phone running Android 6.0.x only asks for
- calendar
- contacts
- storage
These are expected for an email app.

hallux

Q&A Team
Jul 7, 2013
Visit site
Something seems really strange here. The Gmail app (6.11.6.x) on my phone running Android 6.0.x only asks for
- calendar
- contacts
- storage
These are expected for an email app.

Same on mine, though I don't have the same version as you (I'm on 6.10 still with no update available in the Play Store). My phone is a Nexus 6P on Nougat.

g1142932

Aug 24, 2016
Visit site
Exactly, that's my point :)
Revoke ALL permissions to *Google Play Services*... :)
Once you revoke permissions from Google Play Services, *GMail* app (?!?!?!?) will complain not having all those (Contacts, Phone, Body Sensors, ...) permissions!!!

hallux

Q&A Team
Jul 7, 2013
Visit site
Google Play Services is an app that underpins other Google functionality. In fact, it's what underpins your contacts and calendar sync! You're crippling your phone by denying those permissions. Again, that's not the GMAIL app that specifically needs the permissions, Gmail is linking into APIs from Google Play Services and that triggers the warning that you took away permissions from that app so it may not work right.

Some people need to just remove the tinfoil hat already. Google isn't selling your info, but your info MAY be used to display ads that would interest you. That doesn't mean the ad company associates your name or identity with the display of the ad.

See this (short) discussion on the Google ProductForums: https://productforums.google.com/forum/#!topic/docs/-SnGRcwnDvQ

g1142932

Aug 24, 2016
Visit site
My point is: why do you fake me giving me the opportunity of switching on and off some GMAIL all permissions, when to make GMAIL app work, i need to grant BODY SENSOR (WTF?!?) permission to an app i 1) cannot uninstall 2) has *nothing* to do with sending and receiving emails.
NOT talking from IT guy point of view, i am talking as a customer!
:)

hallux

Q&A Team
Jul 7, 2013
Visit site
That alert isn't saying "Body Sensor" is needed for Gmail, it's saying it's needed for all capabilities of Google Play Services to work. That's not directly associated with Google Play Services to support Gmail, it's just a generic "these are the permissions I WANT and I may not work right if I don't have them", coming from the Google Play Services app when the Gmail app calls an API.

g1142932

Aug 24, 2016
Visit site
Ok, agreed, i'm with you.
But this still does not explain why GMAIL app does not allow me to write mails using contact name, no autocomplete. Both i know my contact email, or i can't send them emails.
Screw all this body sensors.

I want to write an email
to a person in my contacts
gmail app has access to my contacts
why the hell can't i write them an email without remembering their email address??????

chanchan05

Q&A Team
Nov 22, 2014
Visit site
I don't usually use Gmail app, but I opened it for you. When I started typing a contact name, I was asked if I wanted to allow contact suggestions, so I chose yes. It asked me permission to access contacts which I granted. Now I'm getting autocomplete contact name suggestions. You probably forgot to turn on something.