This seems to be a very long standing problem going back many years. But in none of the threads on it could I find an answer.

My phone will no longer charge unless it is turned off. It does not even recognise that the cable is plugged in. However, once powered down there is no problem, and indeed I can power it up when it has started charging and it continues to charge normally. To me this strongly suggests that it must be a software problem.

The level of charge remaining in the battery does not appear to be relevant. It is the same from down in the teens to up in the 80's of percent.

* The phone is a Motorola G 2nd Gen.
    * OS is Android 6.0, patch level 1 Aug 16
    * Kernel is 3.4.42
    * Charger and cable are originals. Using another charger (from a Moto E) makes no difference, nor does using the computers USB port.

Any ideas?
    11-24-2016 09:18 AM
    Welcome to the forums. Have you tried a cache clear in recovery?
    11-24-2016 09:29 AM
    I just had a varient of your problem. The Samsung S4 would shut itself off at various points of the boot up, regardless of battery charge. It would boot up all the way with the charger plugged in. Once booted up the charger could be unplugged and the battery would run the phone for the normal amount of time for the state of charge. Cure: New battery. Have you tried another battery?
    11-24-2016 12:03 PM
    Welcome to the forums. Have you tried a cache clear in recovery?
    I haven't. I'll give that a try when I get the chance and report back.

(Edit) No, thanks for the idea but that makes no difference.

Some tortured soul must have invented the access secret handshakes for recovery mode!
    11-25-2016 08:43 AM
    I just had a varient of your problem. The Samsung S4 would shut itself off at various points of the boot up, regardless of battery charge. It would boot up all the way with the charger plugged in. Once booted up the charger could be unplugged and the battery would run the phone for the normal amount of time for the state of charge. Cure: New battery. Have you tried another battery?
    It's not removable in the Motorola. As a last resort I may try getting a new one fitted, but not yet.
    11-25-2016 09:43 AM
    That us precisely why we keep our S4 and S5. It is a 30 sec. swap. A fter I made the suggestion it iccured to me that you might have a sealed case. Just think, the entire S7 recall for flaming batteries could have been avoided with a simple battery swap if the case was not glued shut.
    11-25-2016 01:20 PM