are there any apps that truly move from emulated SD to external SD?

A

AC Question

Using the default app manager for 30 minutes, and moving the available apps using the "move to SD card" function, I decided to check the storage space I had freed up internally and placed on the external SD. Well, NOTHING FREED UP; NOTHING MOVED. Is there ANY app that will perform this task? And what the heck is "emulated SD card"? It appears that this is where the "move to SDCard" takes place. BTW, I'm running lollipop 5.0.1 on an old but beautiful LG G3. Any useful apps out there or is my next phone ROOTED?

ManiacJoe

Trusted Member
Aug 5, 2015
Visit site
The emulated card is the internal storage space.
Apps do not get moved to the SD card. Parts of apps get moved, if the app lets anything be moved. If you do an update to the app, all is moved back to internal storage.

The SD card is not for apps. The SD card is for pictures, videos, music, and other data.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
Android looks for apps in internal (or simulated) storage, so you can put an app on the real SD card, but Android will never find it. You'd have to rewrite Android ro do that. (Or use an app like External 2 Internal SD (Root), so the mounts are switched and the "SD card" gets mounted as sd0 - which is where Android is looking. ("Internal" storage gets mounted as sd1, so you're reversing the problem. But if you have an 8GB phone and a 128GB card, that's okay.)