Recently delevered : PPTV King 7 Helio X10 Octa-core. I'm curious about the sensors on board and while I do understand Light and Acceleration Sensor, what exactly do each of these other sensors do? Sensor: Acceleration Sensor, Gravity Sensor, Proximity Sensor, Light Sensor, Gyroscope Sensor, IR Sensor, E-compass, Hall sensor
    11-30-2016 01:06 PM
    Proximity sensor - senses if the phone is close to your face to disable the touch screen when you hold the phone to your ear.
    IR sensor - might be fore ambient light detection, or something to do with gestures as Motorola did with their 2014 Moto X
    Hall sensor - that is another form of proximity sensor, would be used with a Smart Cover type of cover.
    11-30-2016 01:13 PM
    I wrote up a little guide about the subject

http://forums.androidcentral.com/gen...nsors-you.html

BTW, A hall sensor is a fancy way of saying it has a magnetic sensor so it can detect if it's in a portfolio case and the cover is closed.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    11-30-2016 02:24 PM
    Well ... a Hall-effect sensor is a magnetic detector - so it makes one heck of a compass - which is probably what the one in the phone is used for. (Which is why a lot of phones have to be recalibrated every time you try to use the compass. A physical compass - the turning needle type - wouldn't have to be.) E-compass is electronic compass - a Hall-effect compass.

Acceleration Sensor and Gyroscope Sensor sense whether you're turning the phone - to set the screen correctly. So does the Gravity Sensor.
    11-30-2016 02:50 PM
    Thanks for the good detail there. Re the E-compass, does this mean I can pull down a "Compass App" and will it work off line, as in no mobile data / wi fi? Picture me on top of a mountain !
    11-30-2016 04:47 PM
    Doh! I must not have posted it.. I just added it after I replied earlier.
    11-30-2016 05:58 PM