Google wont support Pixel phone?

A

AC Question

My wife accidentally dropped her new Pixel Blue phone while walking the dog last week and the screen shattered. (We both had Moto X's for years that took many falls and never broke) I looked up the repair policy on the Google support page and it is to take it to the local uBreakiFix store for a $129 screen replacement. She took it to the store and they said that Google hasn't supplied them with any white screens for the "Blue" version phones and they couldn't repair it with a black screen or it would void the warranty. The store called all the other 4 stores in the state and none of them have the white screen available. I contacted Google support directly and their first response was to wait until parts became available. I told them that wasn't acceptable, we just paid $600 for a phone and you aren't supporting it. They said they would send the case to a "higher level" to decide how to handle it and I would get a response in 48 hours. I waited 72 hours and contented Google support again, referred to my Support Case number and they said there had been not status change. They asked for the serial number etc and what store we took the phone to and got more details and said I would have a response in 48 hours from the "higher level" Its now been 6 days, tomorrow will be a week and I've not received a response from Google. I don't believe a company of this size should sell products for such a premium and then not be able to support them, knowing the screens are going to need repaired.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
And the carriers don't believe that they should advertise a new phone, then stop production to ship repair parts. Who do you think Google is listening to, you or a few huge carriers? (I know, it's a pain, but your wife can use a cheap little feature phone for a short time until screens are available.)

As for "knowing the screens are going to need repaired", all manufacturers "know the screens are going to need replacement" if you drop the phone the wrong way and it's not in a protective case. But they still have to get the phones out and if there's a shortage of a particular part (which seems to be the case here), the part will go into new phones, not be sent as replacement parts. (The Pixel isn't particularly prone to broken screens - if you drop the phone the wrong way the screen breaks. If you drop it the right way, you can drop it 100 times - and nothing breaks.)