Will the below setup hurt my phone?

A

AC Question

As part of my computer setup, I usually have my phone put on my samsung fast charge wireless charging stand, which is put just beside my computer and connected to the PC through USB. To prevent my phone from heating up too much, I have turned off fast wired/wireless charging on my phone. This causes the phone to charge at a slow rate, but it didn't affect me too much as I use my computer at least 8 hours a day. Whenever the phone was not in use, it was on the charging pad.

Now, I am quite satisfied with this setup. However, I have concerns as to whether this specific setup will impact the battery life of my phone due to the extended periods of time I set my phone on the charging stand.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
No, not even "fast" charging will, because it's not very fast as far as the battery is concerned. "Fast" charging is getting close to 1C - which is the current rating of the battery. IOW, if you have a 3000mAh battery, a 1C charge would be a 3 Amp charge (3,000 mA).

chanchan05

Q&A Team
Nov 22, 2014
Visit site
The charging dock is connected to a PC? Then the charging port isn't even getting enough juice for a regular charge, let alone fast charge. The USB port on most PC's are configured to give out only 500mah to unrecognized devices, and up to 1000mah if you have a specific embedded setup that allows this. In all likelihood the wireless charger is receiving only less than 1000mah, and the regular charger on the Samsung puts out up to 2000mah.