android wifi calling is enabled, yet I still don't have good reception, what's up?

A

AC Question

Wifi signal is strong, so why doesn't phone have reception? It's been turned on for months now, multiple restarts, resets. Just now trying to figure out why it's not working.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
Phone calls on AT&T are 2G (to go to 3G in a couple of weeks, from what I'm hearing). They have nothing to do with wifi. Look at the battery statistics in Settings. Tap the grid. Look at the bottom for the mobile signal. Is it brown? That's a weak voice/text signal. It should be green. (As much as I hate to say this, AT&T may not be your best choice for a carrier. Do the same test on the Android phones of friends on different carriers - at home, at school, at work - and you'll see who has the best signal in all the places you need signal. [Hopefully the same carrier in all the places - you don't want to carry 4 cellphones with you.])

Finding which carrier has the best signal where you need signal is the first thing anyone should do. Instead people look at prices, at phones, at everything but signal. The best phone you can imagine - it even does your dishes - is a lump of plastic without a decent signal. A cheap feature phone (the opposite of a smartphone) is a good phone if it has a solid signal wherever you go. (I'm on AT&T for that reason - I came here with a Sprint phone - great signal everywhere where I used to live. No signal everywhere I needed signal here. AT&T has one huge dead spot here - in an area I've driven through twice, so who cares?)