06-26-2019 11:51 AM
108 ... 345
tools Reply
  1. Devils Advocate1's Avatar
    Solved the problem. Got my wife a Galaxy S7 last week. She was having a heck of a time with Facebook and her phone was old.

    Got the new one at Costco and got a $250 gift card with it.
    henryw48 likes this.
    02-14-2017 08:54 PM
  2. jhturner108's Avatar
    Hi Henry!
    Thanks for that very thorough answer. I would have replied earlier but the problem appears to have gone away. I have been waiting to see if it has /really/ been stopped. We installed ES Task Killer and turned off Facebook's [chat] option. Mdsnd was using over 30% battery & CPU now it is not even mentioned in the task list, so it looks like we (all the team of Android users can claim some credit) -- have found the culprit -- it is (one or more) FB options.
    Best wishes -- John.
    henryw48 likes this.
    02-16-2017 12:06 PM
  3. hoopabyron's Avatar
    Were you able to get rid of MDNSD? If so, how?
    I have the S3. I used the ES explorer. I went to device/system/bin and found the file Mdnsd. I opened it with text and deleted about 4 lines of jiberish and then I also tried to move it to another directory, I think I chose .tmp. After a reboot it is gone in my settings/battery. I hope it stays gone.
    02-21-2017 05:35 PM
  4. belodion's Avatar
    Tiny bit more info from a new member here:
    'mdnsd' draining battery and still no solution

    https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?sha...p%3Ft%3D763079

    Also, thank you to the members in the present thread who have done so much to solve this problem and share their findings. A very impressive effort.
    henryw48 likes this.
    03-01-2017 07:57 AM
  5. smvim's Avatar
    Some of the users (possibly indirectly through mdnsd) of UDP port 5353 on my phone were HP Printer Server Plugin, Samsung Printer Server Plugin, ES File Explorer File Manager, Xfinity WiFi and the Google Play Services (GMS = Google Mobile Services -> supports multiple Google apps). I attempted to uninstall various combinations of these without achieving zero increase in number UDP and UDP6 sockets on port 5353.
    If you install this SockStat app you can monitor all the active sockets in use. Lightweight utility that allows a quick, handy way to 'Force stop' some background process you think is causing a problem.
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...sockstat&hl=en

    You might also want to add a firewall app to your phone so you can selectively block/allow individual apps and processes online access for both cellular and WiFi. If you're rooted AFWall+ is a really good firewall app, if not NetGuard is a good option.

    https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...anth.ufirewall
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...irewall.donate

    https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...rcode.netguard
    henryw48 likes this.
    03-20-2017 05:22 PM
  6. Linda Lau's Avatar
    Coming strictly from a layman's perspective, I add my name to the lengthy list of frustrated LG G3 mdnsd daemon sufferers. My only "tech" experience is one college class of Algol coding in 1975.

    My approach therefore was more from a desperation approach than knowledge-based action.

    First I read the myriad of blogs that left my head reeling.

    Background: I uninstalled or disabled every app I knew I would never use, immediately upon getting my phone. I have never used FB and don't fly a drone (yet).

    My procedure: I uninstalled Firefox. I checked to make sure my phone was current with updates.

    I followed procedures to re-calibrate my battery, 3x. Cleared cached info. No help. Then yesterday I individually enabled each disabled app, took all permissions away, cleared cache and data, and re-disabled. Then I moved my pictures (all197) over to another device. I also checked "restrict apps in background" under battery saver. Rebooted phone and charged to 100% again.

    I have no idea which action did the trick; perhaps it was a combination, or even just me believing I could overcome this little monster, but it took my nasty little daemon off my phone (and also the no-name one) and my battery is back to normal.
    06-07-2019 09:33 AM
  7. Rukbat's Avatar
    06-07-2019 03:20 PM
  8. M21740guy's Avatar
    I solved my mdnsd issue with my android phone. I discovered that my browser on my flex phone was the issue. My browser was simply titled Browser and was the on that originally came on my phone, its icon was a globe. I found in my searches about my browser that is was possibly a mozilla browser. One WARNING if you are going to try my suggestion is to save your favorites and any information that is saved in your browser by backing it up. I downloaded the Microsoft Edge and Google Chrome before making my attempt to do away with mdnsd permanently. After downloading the new browsers I went to, apps, all, browser, then stopped the browser and chose disable. It deleted all of the info associated with the browser. I restarted my phone and waited three hours, since my battery info displays info from the last 3 hours. After three hours mdnsd was gone forever. I was able to use the other browsers during those 3 hours and it was no longer on the list. My battery now has normal usage times. I hope this works for you, however do remember to back up your info before deleting the browser.
    06-26-2019 11:51 AM
108 ... 345

Similar Threads

  1. How to reinstall Lollipop 5.1 on infected phone
    By AC Question in forum Ask a Question
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 02-05-2017, 09:10 AM
  2. Bluetooth stopped working on Google maps
    By srfoot in forum Samsung Galaxy S5
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 12-23-2016, 08:33 PM
  3. Replies: 2
    Last Post: 12-22-2016, 04:54 AM
  4. Can i use my galaxy j7 with your service
    By AC Question in forum Ask a Question
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 12-21-2016, 05:46 PM
  5. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 12-21-2016, 05:38 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD