Quite simply, it's as the title says. I pay the youtube red subscription, and I can get a video - any video - to start playing, but the moment I tab to another app or lock the screen, the video, while still playing, no longer buffers until I either unlock the screen/make youtube the active app once more, or it just stops playing entirely.

Tried uninstalling the updates and reinstalling for youtube, tried turning on/off powersaving, bluetooth is not enabled. Using youtube via the household wi-fi, and the issue will happen even if I'm right next to the modem.
    12-24-2016 06:21 AM
    Do you have power saving enabled? Power saving mode blocks background data. Hence it won't buffer while in the background or when screen is off.
    12-24-2016 07:08 AM
    <-- is OP

Do you have power saving enabled? Power saving mode blocks background data. Hence it won't buffer while in the background or when screen is off.
    Tried uninstalling the updates and reinstalling for youtube, tried turning on/off powersaving, bluetooth is not enabled. Using youtube via the household wi-fi, and the issue will happen even if I'm right next to the modem.
    12-24-2016 08:44 AM
    How about keep wifi on during sleep? Is that enabled? And background data? Is it blocked?
    12-24-2016 08:59 AM
    When the Youtube app becomes a background app, it stops downloading the stream - that's normal. (BTW, you don't want buffering - that's "waiting for more data". It means that your connection to the Youtube server is slower than the video you're watching. Streaming with no buffering is best.)
    12-24-2016 03:58 PM
    When the Youtube app becomes a background app, it stops downloading the stream - that's normal. (BTW, you don't want buffering - that's "waiting for more data". It means that your connection to the Youtube server is slower than the video you're watching. Streaming with no buffering is best.)
    He's talking about Youtube Red subscription. One of the specific features of that is play and load in the background.

However, I just remembered, did you (OP) install the accompanying app for Youtube Red? You're also supposed to install this as well:
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/d....youtube.music
    Freddie Maldonado likes this.
    12-24-2016 07:34 PM
    However, I just remembered, did you (OP) install the accompanying app for Youtube Red? You're also supposed to install this as well:
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/d....youtube.music
    This was the cause, the lack of the youtube music app being installed. Even if I'm not using it, seems that it is indeed still needed for the mainstream youtube app to play background properly.

Thanks heaps for the help!
    Freddie Maldonado likes this.
    12-24-2016 08:59 PM
    It looks as though towards the end of the thread you may have gotten your answer I have another suggestion for people with the same problem few days ago I accidentally encrypted my SD card
    For the next couple of nights I be listening to YT music with a red subscription I also have a Google Play music subscription and my background play would pause every time my screen darkend with both downloaded music and music over WiFi after trying all the steps that I found on this fourm some other tricks
    UnEncrypting my SD card allowed me to play both my offline music and music via WiFi !
    10-16-2017 10:38 AM
    This idea was brilliant thank you for sharing
    12-24-2017 12:38 AM
    This was the cause, the lack of the youtube music app being installed. Even if I'm not using it, seems that it is indeed still needed for the mainstream youtube app to play background properly.

Thank you
    12-24-2017 12:39 AM
    Thank you
    Thank you so much for sharing this info. I spend all day with this problem. You just made my Christmas. Happy holidays to you. Good luck
    12-24-2017 12:40 AM
    Thank you
    Thank thank you
    12-24-2017 12:41 AM

Thanks
    12-24-2017 12:41 AM