Why do I get strange characters on file names instead of apostrophes?

A

AC Question

I have a Galaxy S5 and I've noticed that some files have some strange characters instead of an apostrophe. Also happens with some letters that have apostrophes on top of them (showing another character). Especially in some music files, where this can make a single music album into two. All because of the character change problem. How can I solve this problem?

ManiacJoe

Trusted Member
Aug 5, 2015
Visit site
Most likely it is a character encoding problem where the character "code page" that created the names does not match the character "code page" you are using.

While the single quote normally found on the keyboard is standardized, the curly or fancy single and double quotes are not standardized.
Non-English characters with umlauts, accents, and graves are also not standardized completely.

CHCubsFan1997

Apr 25, 2016
Visit site
I'm having the same issues now with some files.
Most likely it is a character encoding problem where the character "code page" that created the names does not match the character "code page" you are using.

While the single quote normally found on the keyboard is standardized, the curly or fancy single and double quotes are not standardized.
Non-English characters with umlauts, accents, and graves are also not standardized completely.

It's strange that they're not 100% standardized on the S5.

There's no solution to this problem on the S5? And also, is this issue not present with the newer Galaxy phones?

Last edited: