S7 Edge Bad Standby Battery Life - Why am I losing 25% over night?

A

AC Question

My phone was at 100% and I left it overnight face down and when I woke up 8 hours later it was at 75%. I don't understand because under the battery usage it has Cell Standby, Android System, Phone Idle, and Android OS as the users. When I add up the mAH it only adds up to about 173 mAH which is only roughly 5% because the S7 Edge has a 3600 mAH battery. I have the North American one with a Snapdragon. Help would be appreciated!

Mr_Spencer

Trusted Member
Sep 21, 2014
Visit site
Apparently there was a server end issue with Facebook yesterday that has been resolved as of this morning. But that only answers your question if u have the application and if it was just last night that u experienced the problem.

PatentPower

Jan 11, 2017
Visit site
I don't have the Facebook app, and I have already wiped the cache a few times, what do you mean wipe it in recovery mode? Wipe it in Safe mode you mean? Also, I forgot to mention, I do have a Gear S2 that is always linked to my phone with Bluetooth but I unlinked the watch and tested it also and the phone still lost 25% overnight.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! Wiping the system cache partition requires that you boot into Recovery Mode: https://support.t-mobile.com/docs/DOC-28028. If you weren't doing that, then you were only wiping the app caches, which isn't the same thing.

Cell Standby usually suggests that you have bad signal. How is the signal where you keep the phone overnight?

It'd be helpful to see more stats. Charge up to 100%, then let it drain to 20-30% with normal usage, without charging in between. Then show us:

1. The main Settings>Battery screen.
2. The fullscreen battery graph screen (which shows Awake time and Cell Signal Strength).
3. The Screen category (to see total Screen On time).
4. The Cell Standby category, if present (to see Time Without Signal).

http://forums.androidcentral.com/ge...ide-how-post-screenshots-android-central.html

You might have to install a 3rd party battery monitor, like GSam Battery Monitor, to get the Cell Signal Strength graph.

PatentPower

Jan 11, 2017
Visit site
The signal overnight generally hovers around 4 to 5 bars of LTE. And ok, I can use the phone tomorrow and drain it to 20% and then send screenshots. Although my graph doesn't expand and so it doesn't plot cell phone strength.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Sorry, I can't explain that. It's possible that the stats don't account for various other smaller battery-using components, that when added up may still be significant.

PatentPower

Jan 11, 2017
Visit site
Alright so I tested it today and for some reason my phone uses way less battery when wifi is off but something like clearing the cache in recovery mode might have also fixed it, not sure. The phone went from 92% to 50% in 13 hours with about an hour of screen on time and I also listened to music for an hour or so with earbuds and the signal was only really bad for about an hour. Is that normal??

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
That sounds reasonable. Wi-fi can sometimes suck battery if you have the Improve Accuracy setting turned on for wi-fi. Go to Settings>Privacy>Location>Improve Accuracy​, and make sure Wi-fi Scanning is turned off.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
You mentioned wi-fi being off -- but is Wi-fi Scanning also off? If Wi-fi Scanning is on, that can still turn on your wi-fi, even if you've turned it off.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laila Nance