SD card mounting issues

A

AC Question

Hi there,

I have a Galaxy Tab 2 (GT2), running Android 5.0.2.

Contrary to what Samsung says I read that it was possible to put a 128GB SD card in a GT2. I stuck it in and it worked straight from the off, there was no need to format it (or so it seemed).

However, now as I start to fill the SD card up, when I restart the GT2 it takes an age for the SD card to be recognized (say 5+mins). This is just about bearable but it also now seems to randomly stop recognizing the SD card for extended periods. This is getting to be unbearable. Worse the whole device seems to be sluggish when the card isn't being recognized.

I have done some research and most people seem to recommend formatting the card, although some others suggest the slow start up is simply a bye product of the size of the card and this part will not be helped by reformatting it.

I have a fair amount of data in the card, about 5GB mainly amazon prime videos, which are replaceable but would be a real pain given my cripplingly slow internet connection.

Q1.) Is there anything I anything I can do to improve matters without reformatting the card?

Q2.) If reformatting is necessary can you point me to a detailed set of instructions to make sure I do it right!

Thanks

Baz

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! The SD card could be corrupt, defective, or counterfeit. Install SD Insight to see if the card is genuine or counterfeit. Counterfeit cards are programmed to report more storage than they actually have, and if you try saving more than the card can actually hold, then files can start getting corrupt.

If it's a valid card, then go to Settings>Storage, Unmount the card, remove it, and insert it into your computer. Can the computer read these files? Backup as much as you can right now, then run chkdsk to look for bad sectors: http://forums.androidcentral.com/am...guide-using-chkdsk-fix-corrupted-sd-card.html.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fallingOutOfLoveWfithTech