Trying to decide between 2 inexpensive phones @ Cricket

A

AC Question

Hi, can't figure out which to get between the alcatel one touch idol 3 AND samsung galaxy amp prime.
my friend says the former is an older model and unlikely to be upgraded to even marshmallow, let alone nougat.
the samsung comes with marshmallow.

OTOH the idol 3 features an octocore processor vs a quadcore for the samsung...the idol 3 also has much better camera it looks like (13MP vs 5MP) but I'm not a big picture taker.

Price wise I would pay 50 bucks for the idol 3 and 30 for the samsung

So should I let the later OS drive my decision and go with the samsung or will the octocore processor make a huge difference...I don't really game at all tho I'd like good browsing speeds.

chanchan05

Q&A Team
Nov 22, 2014
Visit site
Octacore vs quadcore doesn't mean anything unless you know exactly the specs of the processor. Case in point is the S7. The S7 in the US is using a quad core Snapdragon 820. This is the same processor as the HTC10 and LG G5. They have comparable performance to the Octacore S7 from overseas.
That being said, I'd take the Idol. The Amp Prime looks like a J series phone rebranded for cricket. Which means it won't be updated anyway. It's stuck in Marshmallow. The Idol 3 may or may not be updated, but Lollipop is a pretty decent OS version anyway.

SactoKingsFan

Nov 1, 2013
Visit site
I'd go with the idol 3. Very bright higher res screen, great speakers, near stock Android, decent camera and good battery life. The idol 3 has also had the Marshmallow update for a while.