Little grey icon (shaped like a bow-tie) on the top left of my photo after cropping an original?

stomlins1080

Jan 22, 2017
Visit site
When I view a vertically oriented photo, (thinner than a full-screen vertically oriented photo), a grey bow-tie shaped icon shows up on the photo. Clicking on this icon will vertically pan down the photo and then return it to original view.

Why is this icon appearing and how do I stop it? I have a Galaxy Alpha with Android 5.0.2.

The scrolling is useless, but the biggest problem is that the grey icon is permanent and in one case, right on the face of the photo's subject.

Last edited:

stomlins1080

Jan 22, 2017
Visit site
I view it using the stock gallery app with Android 5.0.2
Both in the album thumbnails and when I view the picture, the grey icon appears. (shown in screenshot)

Of course an easy solution would be to use a different gallery app. But I would like to resolve this because I'm familiar with the stock gallery app and would like to continue using it.

I would even roll-back the gallery app to a previous version but I don't know how to do that (or if I can).
And maybe get some explanation as to why this is happening?

Last edited:

Mr Mendelli

Dec 19, 2016
Visit site
That icon is for panoramic photos. The gallery app has detected that the dimensions and/or aspect ratio match that of a panoramic photo. There isn't anything you can do to remove the icon except by using a different viewer. Even then, other gallery apps will likely detect that the image "counts" as a panorama and will either display it as such (scrollable), or show options to do so. You could try resizing the image to fix this. Hope this helps.