What is your recommendation for a DAC for Android devices?

Laura Knotek

Moderator Captain
Jan 8, 2011
Visit site
Hi Jerry,

I know you are a hi-fi enthusiast. I am as well.

What DAC do you recommend for use with Android devices?

Jerry Hildenbrand

Space Cowboy
Staff member
Oct 11, 2009
Visit site
Best bang for your buck IMO right now is the FiiO A5. If you're a supernerd, spring an extra $70 for the E12 because it ships with the same DAC and amp but isn't sealed so you can get inside and tweak it. If you don't plan to tweakit, just buy the A5 and put the extra $70 towards headphones.

But there are a lot of dacs that I've never heard or only heard while they were brand new and not burned in yet. The Oppo HA-2 is supposed to be incredible and worth the bigger price tag.

Kevin — if you're reading this buy me an Oppo HA-2. <3

Jerry Hildenbrand

Space Cowboy
Staff member
Oct 11, 2009
Visit site
They sound different. Good ones can take a range of tubes and different tubes will change the sound. As far as better, thats a tossup.

Tubes sound warm and fuzzy. If you're listening to something that's best when it's sharp and crystal clear you'll hear the difference the most and might not like it.

Grab any track from Joe Satraini's Surfing With the Alien. Listen to it with what you have now so you are familiar, then listen on a tube amp. You'll hear the difference right away.

Laura Knotek

Moderator Captain
Jan 8, 2011
Visit site
They sound different. Good ones can take a range of tubes and different tubes will change the sound. As far as better, thats a tossup.

Tubes sound warm and fuzzy. If you're listening to something that's best when it's sharp and crystal clear you'll hear the difference the most and might not like it.

Grab any track from Joe Satraini's Surfing With the Alien. Listen to it with what you have now so you are familiar, then listen on a tube amp. You'll hear the difference right away.
Thanks!

Would the tube DACs make lossless digital music sound more like vinyl records?

Do you have any recommendations for tube DACs?

Jerry Hildenbrand

Space Cowboy
Staff member
Oct 11, 2009
Visit site
Thanks!

Would the tube DACs make lossless digital music sound more like vinyl records?

Do you have any recommendations for tube DACs?

A tube amp sounds warmer like vinyl does. It won't have the same background feel as vinyl because that comes from an actual needle riding the bumps and making it's own sound. Some music just sounds better playing from an LP and you can't make a digital track sound the same.

I don't have a good desktop tube amp. I want one, but they are expensive and the cable across my office to use my marshall guitar head instead is cheap :p

But I can say you need to buy this https://www.amazon.com/Nobsound-NS-...ag=hawk-future-20&ascsubtag=UUacUvbUpU5657789

That's not a great desktop tube amp. Not even close. But it's a decent desktop tube amp that drives 60-250 ohm headphones really well and will let you know how a tube changes the sound before you spend a thousand dollars on a good one. I had a couple of those and ended up giving the working one away to someone who had the same questions as you do about the sound.

The other one was a victim of me and my soldering iron.

Laura Knotek

Moderator Captain
Jan 8, 2011
Visit site
A tube amp sounds warmer like vinyl does. It won't have the same background feel as vinyl because that comes from an actual needle riding the bumps and making it's own sound. Some music just sounds better playing from an LP and you can't make a digital track sound the same.

I don't have a good desktop tube amp. I want one, but they are expensive and the cable across my office to use my marshall guitar head instead is cheap

But I can say you need to buy this https://www.amazon.com/Nobsound-NS-...ag=hawk-future-20&ascsubtag=UUacUvbUpU5657819

That's not a great desktop tube amp. Not even close. But it's a decent desktop tube amp that drives 60-250 ohm headphones really well and will let you know how a tube changes the sound before you spend a thousand dollars on a good one. I had a couple of those and ended up giving the working one away to someone who had the same questions as you do about the sound.

The other one was a victim of me and my soldering iron.
Thanks so much! I will let you know if I get it and how I like it.

udazavlanje

Sep 23, 2012
Visit site
I'm trying to decide what's more worth to buy-External DAC or a phone with one.
these are great accessories,but are definitely an inconvenience to carry around. on the other hand, they can save me hundreds of dollars by giving me Hi-fi quality on cheaper devices.
so, my Q is how does V20 fare with these 2 DAC you recommended? how much is the Fiio A5 better (on Audio Technica M50x)? does it make a difference to which kind of the device they are connected to - say Z Play vs HTC10/V20?

tadpoles

Jul 20, 2015
Visit site
Thanks Jerry! I will definitely check out that tube amp. $50? Wow, I just didn't think you could get anything worth listening to for less than at least a few hundred but I'm going to order one as I've been wondering about getting a tube amp. Even if I like the sound I don't envision ever spending more than $700-$1K on a tube setup. Thanks again.

Rumblee1

Trusted Member
Nov 3, 2012
Visit site
Hi Jerry,

I know you are a hi-fi enthusiast. I am as well.

What DAC do you recommend for use with Android devices?

I just bought an onkyo dp x1 because of its glowing reviews everywhere and it sounds incredible. But you can do just as well by purchasing a ZTE axon 7. It has hifi dacs and dolby atmos. It sounds very close to my onkyo. And besides, its one hell of a phone. I actually got rid of my very dissapointing pixel and have my S7 edge only in case I drop the A7. Just make sure you have high quality earbuds or headphones to fully and correctly pass the sound on to you. Also, if you're buying high resolution tracks, HDtracks has the biggest selection. And make sure you install a music pkayer like onkyo to properly playback your high rez tracks.

Laura Knotek

Moderator Captain
Jan 8, 2011
Visit site
I just bought an onkyo dp x1 because of its glowing reviews everywhere and it sounds incredible. But you can do just as well by purchasing a ZTE axon 7. It has hifi dacs and dolby atmos. It sounds very close to my onkyo. And besides, its one hell of a phone. I actually got rid of my very dissapointing pixel and have my S7 edge only in case I drop the A7. Just make sure you have high quality earbuds or headphones to fully and correctly pass the sound on to you. Also, if you're buying high resolution tracks, HDtracks has the biggest selection. And make sure you install a music pkayer like onkyo to properly playback your high rez tracks.

I use Sony MDR-7506 headphones. I have indeed purchased albums from HDtracks. I also rip music from my personal collection to FLAC and use Neutron Music or HibyMusic to play those tracks.

Jerry Hildenbrand

Space Cowboy
Staff member
Oct 11, 2009
Visit site
these are great accessories,but are definitely an inconvenience to carry around. on the other hand, they can save me hundreds of dollars by giving me Hi-fi quality on cheaper devices.
so, my Q is how does V20 fare with these 2 DAC you recommended? how much is the Fiio A5 better (on Audio Technica M50x)? does it make a difference to which kind of the device they are connected to - say Z Play vs HTC10/V20?

The Filo A5 and Z Play will sound as good as the V20 or HTC 10. There is a difference between all three, but it's such a small difference that I wouldn't hesitate to call them equally good.

And yes, I can tell you that carrying around an external dac can be a pain in the butt. I wish someone would build a battery case that powers a dac and amp so at least everything is in one piece. For now I just use ponytail holders to keep them together in my bag.

Jerry Hildenbrand

Space Cowboy
Staff member
Oct 11, 2009
Visit site
Thanks Jerry! I will definitely check out that tube amp. $50? Wow, I just didn't think you could get anything worth listening to for less than at least a few hundred but I'm going to order one as I've been wondering about getting a tube amp. Even if I like the sound I don't envision ever spending more than $700-$1K on a tube setup. Thanks again.

LOL. It's still a $50 amp and doesn't sound great. But it does give you that tube sound so you can see if you like it. A lot of people don't like it after they have tried it.

udazavlanje

Sep 23, 2012
Visit site
The Filo A5 and Z Play will sound as good as the V20 or HTC 10. There is a difference between all three, but it's such a small difference that I wouldn't hesitate to call them equally good.

And yes, I can tell you that carrying around an external dac can be a pain in the butt. I wish someone would build a battery case that powers a dac and amp so at least everything is in one piece. For now I just use ponytail holders to keep them together in my bag.

much appreciated (as usual) !
that's the Moto Mod I'm hoping for :)

Laura Knotek

Moderator Captain
Jan 8, 2011
Visit site

Another reason why I like separate DAC is because I can use it with multiple devices such as with my tablet or my notebook, not just with my phone.

anon(9072051)

Sep 9, 2014
Visit site
Will the Fiio A5 work with a Nexus 6? I've read some forum posts (from maybe 2015, granted) of people complaining about the N6 not working with this or that DAC, the Fiio Q1 being one of em.

Last edited: