Strangely, the cables that don't charge my S5 will charge other samsung phones but not mine. The cables are supposedly all the same but some just do not charge my phone, even though they are meant to be compatible. It seems to be something that has developed over time as originally practically every lead would connect and charge my phone. Now only certain ones will connect and charge. Any help gratefully received.
    02-03-2017 09:30 AM
    Welcome to the forums. Perhaps the data/charging pin on the phone side is wearing out?
    02-03-2017 10:07 AM
    Welcome to the forums. Perhaps the data/charging pin on the phone side is wearing out?
    I can see a bad connector being fussy with some cables. The effect of a bad + or - data wire would be to restrict the charge rate to 500 ma. but it would still charge. The phone uses the data lines to detect if it is connected to a usb port or a straight charger.
    02-03-2017 10:16 AM
    Strangely, the cables that don't charge my S5 will charge other samsung phones but not mine. The cables are supposedly all the same but some just do not charge my phone, even though they are meant to be compatible. It seems to be something that has developed over time as originally practically every lead would connect and charge my phone. Now only certain ones will connect and charge. Any help gratefully received.
    Plug in one of the suspect cables and wiggle the phone connection and see if the little lightening bolt charge symbol in the battery icon cuts in and out. It sounds like you have a flakey socket. Some plugs fit better than others. I invested in one of those in line usb cable volt and ameters on ebay for 3 bucks. You can see if the charger is putting out 5 volts and how much current is flowing to the phone. Ir is great for sorting out the many junk cables from rhe good ones. The S5 should charge at around 1.8 amps with a good cable. I have seen many that could only manage half of that.
    02-03-2017 10:27 AM
    Thanks to Adam Dachis let's all refresh our memories on why some cables are differant than others via LifeHacker.com:

Cables Can Significantly Impact the Charging Speed of Your USB Devices

or this home grown article by Russell Holly:

USB Type-C FAQ — everything you need to know | Android Central
    02-03-2017 11:05 AM
    Thanks to Adam Dachis let's all refresh our memories on why some cables are differant than others via LifeHacker.com:

Cables Can Significantly Impact the Charging Speed of Your USB Devices

or this home grown article by Russell Holly:

USB Type-C FAQ —*everything you need to know | Android Central
    The usb c is a new improved design. They are not interchangable with micro usb. Regardless of what this guy says, if all cables work with one phone but only some work with another, common sense says to look at the phone before the cable. I have seen charge sockets go bad. I did this for 50 years and when you get locked into "it is always A" you get screwed when it turns out to be "B". You can't trouble shoot from an article. It is just a suggestion from somebody that isn't there. It is just a starting point.
    02-03-2017 07:34 PM
    Let's remember, the Op asked the question and not me.. so please direct you answers towards the op and not me (unless I've ask a question) This isn't a debate & I'll not get into an arguments over cables..
    02-04-2017 05:35 PM
    Let's remember, the Op asked the question and not me.. so please direct you answers towards the op and not me (unless I've ask a question) This isn't a debate & I'll not get into an arguments over cables..
    I was just respoding to the links you posted. I actually bothered to read them. Maybe you can find some way to delete that little arrow at the bottom of all posts, that invite replies. Nobody forced you into a discussion. You are free to ignore any post you choose.
    02-04-2017 11:18 PM
    Whoops! Something went wrong! Let's remember PUPPAH matters way more than any petty whatever. Thanks!
    02-06-2017 03:24 PM