How can I turn off the Google voice option when trying to call on my Samsung Galaxy s5?

A

AC Question

This just started it started happening everytime it call. It prompts me to make call using: cancel, carrier or Google voice. It is really annoying!

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! Open the Phone app, tap Menu>Settings>Call Settings, and look for something called SIP. If it's turned on for all calls, turn it off.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
On my Nexus 6P, in the Phone app, it's in Menu>Settings>Call Settings>Calling Accounts>Use SIP Calling. The options are "For all calls" and "Only for SIP calls." Still don't see it?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Ok -- if you can't find it anywhere, then it's not the issue. I would guess it has more to do with the recent Google Voice app update, assuming you have it installed. Look through the app's settings to see if there's a new option related to this issue.

4jdarlings

Aug 16, 2017
Visit site
None of the options offered to fix this have worked. I have the exact same issue with a Note 5. I have removed my phone # as a linked to # in the Google Voice app. I have made sure call forwarding is turned off on my phone. I have restarted my phone after making those changes. It still asks you on EVERY call out - How would you like to make your call, using: cancel, carrier or Google voice. It is really annoying!

amazin2469, are you referring to the phone app in the phone? there is no option for "phone number" and then "outgoing calls". :-(

btroupe

Aug 29, 2017
Visit site
I actually found the solution to this problem. The message is being generated by the Google Voice app. To remove the message, find and open Google Voice. If the setup wizard appears, you may even see that is asking what to do on outbound calls and you can select the option not to use your Google Voice number from a drop down menu. Otherwise, select the Menu icon (top left 3 horizontal lines). Go to Settings. Scroll down to the Calls section and select Phone number for outgoing calls. Select the option you'd like which is most likely "No." Place a test call and you should be good to go.

Yolanda Austin

Jan 12, 2013
Visit site
I have a Galaxy S6+edge. I turned google voice off online by deleting the number and then I had to delete the app from the phone. The app is "voice." Just one word. Nothing more. And once it was gone it removed that annoying little habit it has of asking you which option to use. Hope it works for you.

Last edited:

MaximumBigSurprise

Feb 3, 2019
Visit site
I have a Galaxy S6+edge. I turned google voice off online by deleting the number and then I had to delete the app from the phone. The app is "voice." Just one word. Nothing more. And once it was gone it removed that annoying little habit it has of asking you which option to use. Hope it works for you.

Yolanda! Your suggestions worked for me for my One Plus 6! Thank you!

Kevin Mendez

Mar 1, 2013
Visit site
:):):)

I actually found the solution to this problem. The message is being generated by the Google Voice app. To remove the message, find and open Google Voice. If the setup wizard appears, you may even see that is asking what to do on outbound calls and you can select the option not to use your Google Voice number from a drop down menu. Otherwise, select the Menu icon (top left 3 horizontal lines). Go to Settings. Scroll down to the Calls section and select Phone number for outgoing calls. Select the option you'd like which is most likely "No." Place a test call and you should be good to go.

This worked for me

Last edited by a moderator:

Hazel Bay

Mar 3, 2021
Visit site
I have a Galaxy J7 Star and had this exact same problem automatically when I signed up for a Google Voice number. I couldn't find anything in my phone settings to change it AT ALL.

Use the search feature (that you use to find particular apps on your phone) and search for "Voice". For some reason my phone couldn't find results for Google Voice, just Voice. Bring up the app & click the button that's 3 lines in the top left corner, to the left of the search bar. Go to Settings.

Once in Settings keep scrolling down until you come to Calls. One of the first options under Calls is "Making & receiving calls". Mine was already set to "use carrier only" but yet I still had this problem. I had to change "Calls started from this device's phone app". I also changed "Call Forwarding". Not sure which one it was but it worked after that.

I assume you could also just delete your Google Voice number but try this first if you would like to keep it.

Hope this helps someone!

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
I have a Galaxy J7 Star and had this exact same problem automatically when I signed up for a Google Voice number. I couldn't find anything in my phone settings to change it AT ALL.

Use the search feature (that you use to find particular apps on your phone) and search for "Voice". For some reason my phone couldn't find results for Google Voice, just Voice. Bring up the app & click the button that's 3 lines in the top left corner, to the left of the search bar. Go to Settings.

Once in Settings keep scrolling down until you come to Calls. One of the first options under Calls is "Making & receiving calls". Mine was already set to "use carrier only" but yet I still had this problem. I had to change "Calls started from this device's phone app". I also changed "Call Forwarding". Not sure which one it was but it worked after that.

I assume you could also just delete your Google Voice number but try this first if you would like to keep it.

Hope this helps someone!
Hi, welcome to AC!
This is a old thread , not sure your going get any responses here but thanks for your tip.