One touch calling

A

AC Question

I've added 4 contacts to my favorites list on my galaxy s7 edge. 3 contacts are one touch dialing like they should be, but no matter what I've tried, my wife's still makes me click her name from favorites, then click "make call to" and her cell number with no option to set as default or anything. The only difference is my other 3 contacts have WA area codes, and my wife's is an ID area code. If I put a WA area code on her number instead of the ID one, it works no problem.

She's one of my most frequently called contacts and I find this very annoying while trying to call her in a hurry or while driving when the voice dial feature isn't easy to do. Anyone have any idea why it does that?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! Is the phone asking you if you want to make a phone call to your wife with your Phone app, as opposed to something else like Hangouts Dialer? I can see how this might happen if those 3 other contacts aren't on Hangouts at all, while perhaps your wife is.

As a workaround, you could consider creating a homescreen folder full of Direct Dial widgets, thus making this your "Speed Dial." I do this myself, because I don't have to bother opening the Phone app.

KKinWA

Feb 9, 2017
Visit site
I had to create an account to reply. And thanks for your reply! I've never heard of hangouts dialer. All it does is when I tap the green phone icon from my home screen it pops up with Recent, Favorites, and Contacts. Under my favorites list are some frequently dialed numbers. I messed with it again today trying different things like adding a bogus number to her contact and stuff. But what it does is if I click my brothers' "favorite" button it calls him immediately. Same with the other 2. Then when I tap my wife's icon, it says "Make call to" then her number and the option for a voice call or video call, and I have to tap her number again. But I toyed with changing the area code and tapped it again and it called immediately, but to some number I don't know (and I'm sure is tired of me hanging up after they recieve half a ring on their end, haha).

My wife and I have the same area codes. But most my other contacts are a different states area code. I haven't tried any other Idaho area code numbers in my favorites list to see what they do, but I'm going to try with one in a bit.

Last edited:

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Video calling is something that is dependent on the carrier, so it may be that the phone or your carrier knows that your wife's contact supports video calling, while those other contacts don't. Since your wife is presumably on the same carrier as you, this would make sense.

KKinWA

Feb 9, 2017
Visit site
Maybe? But 2 of the other contacts are the same carrier as well. I did try another made up number with the Idaho area code and it worked fine as well. Guess it's just going to make sure I really want to call my wife, haha. Thanks for your help.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
If you know those other contacts well, ask them if they have video calling available on their plans. It's possible that their wireless plans don't include video calling.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
evinrude