USB-OTG Support

A

AC Question

I don't need a very fancy phone, but I want one that supports USB-OTG, which my present phone doesn't. Nobody's specs or even reviews ever mentions this, I suppose assuming that it's common to all phones. Ask at a store and all I get is blank stares. And when I explain what OTG means, they tell me "all you need is a cable." But you need a phone that knows how to use that cable.

I found an outdated list of phones offering USB-OTG support on the web, but I'd like to get a new phone. Furthermore, I'd really like to get one for under $100 that has OS Version 5 or newer.

I can't even shop live for one because it seems that ant store that has phones out on display has them tied into an alarm system through the USB port so I can't even walk into the store with an OTG cable and a flash drive, plug it in, and see if it's recognized, or - heaven forbid - install one of the apps that tells you if OTG is supported.

Oh, the reason why I want Version 5 and OTG is so I can use a USB microphone with it. I know I can buy a $700 Samsung, but that's not going to happen.

So, what's a poor boy to do? Ask the dreaded question: "What's the best Android phone for under $100 that supports OTG?"

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
New phone, under $100, OTG-support? Not easy. Maybe not even possible. And an under-$100 phone that supports a USB mic? Probably also not possible. Just plug a mic into the headphone jack (wired properly, of course).

Mike Rivers

Aug 4, 2016
Visit site
No sympathy, eh? Of course I can use a mic with the headset jack, but gimme a break. I'm an audio engineer.. I know I can do better than that, and besides, since I never text and hardly every make phone calls, I like to play with gadgets.

The question you probalby can't answer is why does this feature seem to be only offered on higher priced phones? There's no reason why it should increase the cost of the phone. The "OTG cable detector" pin is built into every micro USB connector, and unless they have to pay a license fee for the code to support it, why not include it? To read the USB.org web site, you'd think that every phone made in the last 5 years offers this feature. Is it just a marketing thing? If you know what it is and want to use it, you have to buy a high end phone. I'll bet 90% of those that have a phone that accommodates OTG don't know what it is and therefor don't use it.